[3830] KQ6QW ARRL DX SSB SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KQ6QW ARRL DX SSB SOAB LP
From: brian-gelinas@vertel.com (brian-gelinas@vertel.com)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 98 10:40:34 -0800
KQ6QW ARRL DX SSB SOLP Claimed

Valid QSOs DXCC countries
160        0       0
80         0       0
40         8       1
20         52      25
15         168     60
10         83      23
TOTAL      311     109

311   QSOs  * 3  = _933_  x  109  DXCC Countries = 101697 Claimed Score
POWER OUTPUT:  100W

Hours worked: 27

Station description: Icom 706, Spyder vertical mounted above a shaped
ground plane (also known as a Ford Explorer), Hitachi laptop.

Comments
--------

Great conditions pretty much the whole weekend on the upper bands. Am very
unendowed on the low bands, so it was lucky for me that 10 stayed open
pretty much all afternoon both days.  Every time I got down on myself about
my rate, I just went up to 10 and worked some more LUs. 15 was VERY open to
EU on Sunday from at least 1500 until past 1700. Wall-to-wall signals from
21.200 to 21.449 made S&Ping a real hoot. Thanks to the DX guys out there
with good ears for pulling my puny signal out of the muck.

Highlights
----------

Working 9X, 6V, and V5 (?!); busting the KL1Y and  KL7V pileups in one call
(guess it helps to be on the west coast!); working ZL1ANJ on 10 with less
than an hour to go for a new mult and breaking the 100K point barrier. I
bought a pair of Heil headphones just before the contest and boy did they
work well. (Less success with the Mic, though; I don't think it's
particularly compatible with 706. When  I went back to the stock Mic, I
felt a lot louder. Any interfacing advice out there?)

Lowlights
---------

Sharing a hilltop with a CB enthusiast with the dirtiest linear in
existence spraying S9+20 RFI from 1-50 MHz. Calling CQ and receiving
virtually zero response. (But I guess S&Ping for DX between W/VE
superstations, the CBer, and the laptop power inverter hash taught me
better listening skills.)