[3830] NM6Q 1998 ARRL DX Stuff

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NM6Q 1998 ARRL DX Stuff
From: no6x@inreach.com (Mike)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 05:06:23 +0000
    Callsign Used : NM6Q
        Operators : NO6X, W6UC, KF6PCW
         Category : Multi-Single
 Default Exchange : 59 California
        Team/Club : Hot Air Merchant ARC

   BAND      Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Antennas

  160SSB          5         15         4       "T" or "J" (read on)
   80SSB         49        144        30       Hytower & 4 el. wire log
   40SSB        373       1119        60       4 el. @ 90 feet
   20SSB        362       1074        80       4 el. @ 65 feet
   15SSB        660       1971       102       4 el. @ 75 feet
   10SSB         98        294        37       5 el. @ 25 feet

 Totals        1547       4617       313

    Final Score = 1445121 points.

THE NM6Q ARRL DX SSB STORY  by NO6X

 This was the first ARRL DX for our new club call, the only problem I find
with it is we got answered several times as N7MQ. Oh well.
 Hasn't someone said that you should never do antenna work on the day of
the contest???
 Well we disregarded it and tried to put up a 160 antenna. A "T" to be exact
I renamed it the "J" because it was JUNQUE (that's ham terms for JUNK!)
We had to get something up though as the previous weekend we took down the
160 inv. vee for the 80 meter log which worked, but was not worth the loss
in my opinion. And since we lost the big 10 meter yagi and the tower it was
on to a wind storm we put up a 5 element on a portable tower and had to use
"rotor by
Armstrong".
 10 meters finally made something of itself on Sunday. As our QSO total shows
20 and 40 were kinda upside down from the way  they should have been...
But was not until sunday that we broke 200 Q's on 20.
15 never stopped being a good band. 40 was kinda funny on Saturday night,
Was working EU and JA for a few hours. (Maybe just strange to me as I have
not been around long enough!) 80 was suprisingly OK and 160, well that is
Where the JUNQUE came in. the antenna we never could make it resonant
anywhere. So as such had to use the tuner. I think the 5 that we worked were
from radiating the feedline.
 After last years dismall attempt, this was a BIG improvement. last year was
187k I think. This beats it by a few. Also considering the antennas, compared
to some of the BIG stations, this was not a bad score at all.
 Was lotsa fun and special thanks to KF6PCW, Sharon, who allthough did not
operate she kept us nourished and well taken care of. Phil, W6UC, also
Thanks for another great time from your place. You know one of these days that
Henry will make it through a whole contest without us having to work on it.

73 and see you all from Z3 for WPX SSB,
Mike...NO6X

Check out my home page at http://home.inreach.com/no6x