[3830] KK7GW WPX semi-effort

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK7GW WPX semi-effort
From: kk7gw@hotmail.com (David Jones)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 18:13:23 PST
                              CQ WPX SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 28-Mar-98, 29-Mar-98

    Callsign Used : KK7GW
         Operator : KK7GW

         Category : Single Operator/Rookie

 Default Exchange : 59 #

             Name : David Jones
          Address : 11427 110th AVE NE
   City/State/Zip : Kirkland, Washington 98033
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Western Washington DX Club (First contest as a
member!)

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

   40SSB       7           7         28        3
   20SSB      38          38         39       35
   15SSB      44          44         29       39

 Totals       89          89         96       77

Something like 57 or 58 0-pointers...about all I could work.
    Final Score = 7392 points.
    Hours of operation: 7.5 (using the 60 minute break rule...probably
about 10)
    Power=100 watts
    Eqipment: TS-530, Heil headset w/HC4, dipole cut for 40m @30-35 feet
(V config, and up from the previous 22 feet)

Comments: Well, where to begin.  I thought the weekend was gone after
seeing the antenna on the ground.  Saturday morning I found a nail on
the house that I could hook the downed end of the dipole on and got the
thing up.  It's in a weird "V" shape, not Inverted-Vee, but V.
Either my antenna's worse than before (probably) or conditions were
really bad/weird.  15 didn't open at all to EU, and barely to Asia,
while 20 had an interesting opening at 9pm local (0500z) to Asia/Pacific
that I've never heard before.

It sounded like conditions were disturbed...much more flutter than
usual.  Once I get my 20 dipole up I might actually have a decent signal
there.  Thanks to the few people that could hear me and stuck with my 1
VFO 40 split operation.

Glad I could get on and hand out the KK7 prefix...sounded like it was me
and one other KK7 on.  I got lots of "Thanks for the mult" responses.
My last year of Rookie status (was licensed as a Tech+ in Feb '95), and
I can't make an all out effort.  Oh well.

CU for CW, unless my baseball team does really well in the city's annual
Memorial weekend Tournament.

73

David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw@hotmail.com