[3830] K3MM WPX Phone SOHP Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K3MM WPX Phone SOHP Score
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 06:12:02 +0100
                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: K3MM                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator High Power
      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80      402     1408   3.5      139
       40      209     1034   4.9       53
       20     1072     2502   2.3      396
       15      962     2679   2.8      217
       10       80      232   2.9       36
     --------------------------------------
     Totals   2725     7855   2.9      841  =   6,606,055

Club Affiliation: Potomac Valley Radio Club
Comments:  I felt a little lost going into this one, realizing I hadnt done a
 phone WPX from the US in 4 years...and that was from W3LPL which plays
 a little differently :) I finally got around to putting up the
 threatened NE beverage...completing the job about one hour before the
 contest!  It was actually fairly easy to put up once I cut down a lot
 of the scrub trees and brush that were in the way.  It was quickly a
 big hit with me!  Amazingly, I even used it on 15 meters the first day!
 There was a lot of atmospheric noise as well as an S7 line noise
 locally, and it really cut it all out.  The second day everything was
 much quieter and the beams were usually better, even with a little bit
 of line noise left.  What an amazing antenna tho...  I doubt my NE
 EWE will be left standing for long!  I didnt use it at all.
 Had fun trying to figure out the best thing to do on the low bands at
 various times.  I knew the EU's would be working each other for the
 first few hours on 40, but didnt think they'd spend almost the whole
 weekend doing it!  Finally in the last hour of the contest they
 started answering US CQ's in some quantity. I had much better success
 even the first night on 80 meters, running both split from around 3815
 and simplex just below the "window".  What really sweetened the pot was
 all the US prefixes that called in on 80!  I'll have to put this in
 my notes for next year...more 80...40 sucks.  20 was extremely crowded
 most of the time, but relatively productive.  I did get a bit depressed
 when 15 had run out for me and found KE3Q (@W3LPL) an hour later still
 running EU like mad!  I could hear most of them, but couldnt copy much
 out of it.  Ptooey!  Lot's of LU's and SA mults to be had on 10 made
 some brief S&P trips reasonably profitable.
  On a side note, my wife was hosting a dog "match" at our place
 Saturday.  I think she was a bit embarrassed trying to explain why
 someone was incessantly yelling a bunch of nonsense in her basement!
 Someday I'll have to come up with a good explanation! hi!
73, Ty K3MM