[3830] Fw: VO1MP WPXSSB SCORE

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Fw: VO1MP WPXSSB SCORE
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus VO1MP)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 00:34:47 -0330
VO1MP  Gus Samuelson
St. Phillips Newfoundland
                       CQ WORLD WIDE WPX CONTEST  1998

      Call: VO1MP                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: SSB                      Category: SO/HP/Unassisted

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES         Antennas  ?

160             0          0      0.0          0
  80         194     1092      5.6      109
 40          232     1284      5.5        39
 15        1432     3858      2.7       228
 10           25        70       2.8         14
 Totals   3933    11544      2.9      917  =    10,585,848

      Full 36 hours
Started with a bang 207 in first hour gave me the feel good
sensation I  needed to put a little effort into this one. Ice wiped  out
all antennas after the ARRL CW test , managed to get most of the
repair work done ,still no 160 ,used a single element for 10 meters
attached to my 15 meter yagi, not much activity on 10 here
so it was not a big loss.
My 3 and 1/2 elements on 20 and 30 degree bow in the  boom after
the temporary  tower top  repair didn't seem to affect the
performance much mebbe I ' ve  accidentally discovered a new
concept in antenna design !
Best score I've registered in the 36 hour format  best previous
was 7 mil in 30 hour test , Now  if I get some real antennas I can make
some noise.
Goal at outset was 3000 Qs  so exceeded that handily !
Conditions from here were good with 20 propagation so
unpredictable that every time I wanted to qsy  something
exotic would call and keep me in my chair.
 I guess you have to love CQ'in when you get called
by  DU, 9M2, 9M6, BY1 , 4S7,  etc and a host of  European
and Asiatic Russia ? prefixes.
I guess my inability to get on for ARRL SSB created a desire to
work lots of ssb that was fulfilled with a mega dose this week end.
 Tks for all the great American prefixes  during the last two
hours when I figured I had  a shot at  10 million points I was
pleased to get a lot of low numbered  2X1 & 2X2 pxs for mults
show  up on 15 and 20  to put me over the top .
73 Cu all next one ... Gus VO1MP