[3830] IARU Results (Revised): WP2Z(AG8L), SO, HP, Mixed Mode

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU Results (Revised): WP2Z(AG8L), SO, HP, Mixed Mode
From: AG8L4Test@aol.com (AG8L4Test@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:33:27 EDT
                     IARU HF Championship -- 1998

      Call: WP2Z (AG8L)              Country:  US Virgin Is.
                                     Category: Single Operator, Mixed Mode

     BAND      QSO   QSO-PTS   PTS/Q    ZONES  HQ STNS

      160        0        0     0.00      0      0
       80       28       78     2.79      5      7
       40      154      518     3.36     20     15
       20      713     3061     4.29     35     15
       15     1229     5203     4.23     39     21
       10      537     1757     3.27     24      5

     Totals   2661    10617     3.99    123     63

                 Score: 1,974,762 points

Equipment Description:
  Windwood Contest Station: FT-1000, AL-82 Amp
  Force-12 C-4 Antenna, Other wire antennas

Comments:
  This was my first serious DX contest from the Windwood (WP2Z)
  station.  Started on 15 SSB and continued there most of
  Saturday making over 1000 contacts in the first 6 hours.  Rates
  remained high for the entire day Saturday and were the best I've
  ever had, with a one hour peak of 166.  I failed to realize how
  important multipliers would be, and neglected to spend the time
  later in the contest hunting for HQ and zone multipliers.  I'll
  be back next year and plan to do a better job with multipliers.

  Congratulations to the fine single mode entrants - some amazing rates
  and results have been posted.

  Regrets?  I wish I could have pulled more of the weaker stations
  out of the noise.  Band conditions were flaky at times.  On
  Sunday morning, I was loud into Europe, but most stations were
  weak and the noise level peaked with the beam pointing at Europe.
  I think I missed some good multipliers by not being aware of
  some of the special call signs that were active.  I seem to
  recall XUF2B calling, but I didn't think the call was correct.
  (Of course, this was towards the end of the contest when lack
  of sleep was a factor too.)

  Problems?  I found many stations giving me the wrong (CQ) zone
  number.  This was especially true on 10 SSB.  I tried to help
  stations with the correct number, but it is difficult to do during
  a contest, especially since the ITU zones don't correspond
  directly to call areas.

  All in all, a great contest, and I look forward to another effort
  next year, along with even better band conditions.

Club Affiliation: Southern California DX Club (SCDXC)

                             Signature: David R. Margolis, WP2Z (AG8L)

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               David R. Margolis AG8L
               23401 Plum Hollow Drive