[3830] KE1KD NAQP PHONE SOAB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KE1KD NAQP PHONE SOAB
From: sbabb@lpub.com (Scott Babb)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:04:13 +0000
1998 NCJ North American QSO Party

NAME:         Scott Babb
DATES:        15Aug98-16Aug98
CALLSIGN:     KE1KD
MODE:         Phone
CATEGORY:     Single Operator All Band
REPORT GIVEN: Scott NH

          Valid QSOs   multipliers
   160         2            2
    80        43           21
    40        38           20
    20       115           36
    15        58           20
    10
 TOTAL       256           99

  256 QSOs   x   99 Multipliers =   25344  Claimed Score

Station:
  Icom 751A Transceiver
  Dentron MT-3000 Tuner
  Timewave DSP-599zx
  Carolina Windom 160 Special
  Cushcraft R5 vertical
  WriteLog v9.07 (now upgraded to v9.10d)

Comments:
My first NAQP.  Great contest!  The 10/12 format let me spend a
little time with my family and kept me from burning out.  I ran
into several callsigns I recognized from when my daughters
operated Kids Day.

I traded in my call of 21 years (WA1VHT) for a better contest
call.  The luck of the draw got me KE1KD a couple of weeks ago.
I like it.  It did, however, take me awhile to get used to
using the new call.

I need a quieter PC monitor (10 meters was all monitor noise to
me, and 15 was nasty in several places) and antennas that have a
SWR less than 4:1 on 160 and 80 meters.  I suspect that ground
radials and a way to get the Carolina Windom at least above the
roof of my house would help ;-)

I should have tried moving multipliers to other bands.  I didn't
even think of it.  This is really only my third contest (2 IARUs
anda little fooling around in WPX), so I guess that's the big thing
I learned on this one.  That and the need for some resonant antennas
around here and maybe a little wiring to connect up the sound-card
voice keyer in WriteLog.

73 de KE1KD,
Scott Babb