[3830] N5NU California QSO Party (kinda long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5NU California QSO Party (kinda long)
From: n5nu@inu.net (Jason Goldsberry)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 22:37:45 -0500
                           CAL QSO PARTY SUMMARY SHEET

        N5NU,  Douglass TX

                CW              SSB             Total
160             1               0               1
80              14              10              24
40              31              39              70
20              32              71              103
15              46              121             167
10              13              61              74
TOTALS  137             302             439

1015 X 58 = 58890

Soaps:
        I woke up Saturday morning sometime around 8 AM or so unaware that there
was a contest that was going to be in progress shortly.  Later when I
ambled on into the radio room and flipped on the radio, I found a contest
underway.  Hence, the first QSO at 18:23.  The first 10 minutes resulted in
33 QSO's on 10 SSB.  However, it didn't pick up much after that.
        I mostly S & P'ed around some and occasionally called CQ.  I first went
20 meters late, sometime about 30 minutes after sunset to find the band in
full swing.
        I promptly plopped down in the vicinity of 14.267.8 or so and ran a
string
of stations, and had a 61 hour.  I got tired after a while, and went and
watched the Braves complete their sweep of the Cubbies.
        At 10 PM, I came back to a dead 20 meters.  I went to 40 with limited
success.  I then went to SSB expecting the worst.  Yup... RF got into the
headset itself and I could only run 5 watts.  I got tired of that, went out
to the truck and ransacked the 2 meter radio of its microphone, hooked it
up, and fired up the amplifier.  I noticed that 500 watts has a lot more
punch than 5.  My last multiplier called in there.  (Thanks K6HY, 0542z)
        After a while I went to 80, but the tuner wouldn't tune it.  I ran
around
50 watts and worked what I could phone and went to CW.  CW was a bit better
because thats what the antennas built for.  From there was 160.  That was a
waste of time.  I heard N6O and struggled through a murderous low power QSO
with them until departing.
        I went to bed with a sweep and a smile.  Got up on Sunday, and went to
church and didn't sit down until 1 PM.  I fiddled around for 4 hours and
turned it off.  So thats about it....

Somewhere about 12 hours.

73, Jason N5NU

PS, I even heard VR98BG on 10CW Sat night.  I'm really excited about my
first sunspot cycle..

n5nu@inu.net
http://www.inu.net/n5nu/