[3830] KK7GW Honor Sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK7GW Honor Sprint
From: kk7gw@hotmail.com (David Jones)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:18:01 PDT

                              SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 18-Oct-98

    Callsign Used : KK7GW
         Operator : KK7GW

         Category : Single Operator/Low power

 Default Exchange : # David Wa

             Name : David Jones
          Address : 11427 110th AVE NE
   City/State/Zip : Kirkland, WA 98033
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Rush Drake Orchestra

   80CW       11          11         11       0   <tuned 40m dipole>
   40CW       33          33         33       2   <dipole at 13 feet>
   20CW       28          28         28      18   <dipole at 24 feet>

 Totals       72          72         72      20

    Final Score = 1440 points.

Power output: 100 watts
Hours of operation: 3.6 or so.

Comments: Looks like I might be 2nd or 3rd low power behind Tree and
maybe a couple others.  K0RF was past 100, but I'm pretty sure he was
running a KW.

Well, as I'm sure everyone else is going to say, this went slooooowly.
I got off to a fast start, picking up 17 Q's in the first 17 minutes.  I
finally felt in the swing of the sprint style system.  Then, I couldn't
find any new stations...and finally after #25 at 0047z, I went down to
40.  Of course, moving to a new band, the rate jumped again, until I'd
worked all the hardcore guys that could hear me.

Then, I come across K7RAT working one of the QRP ARCI guys.  As long as
you get the exchange, it counts, and boy did those QRP'ers help.  Of
course, I had to note the full exchange they sent, because I'm doing a
semi-effort in that contest too.  It's a good warm-up for SS, I had nice
little 25-30/hr runs on 20 in the morning.

Finally checked 80 at 0200z, and worked a couple here and there.  I took
a bit of a break to eat and check the World Series around 0245z, got
upstairs just in time to see Tino Martinez hit a grand slam to put the
Yankees on top for good.

However, I kept at this contest, and I ended it like I did the start,
racking off 5 Q's in the last 6 minutes, thanks to K7SS and W7WA moving
up and down with me.

Stations worked on all 3 bands: N0AX, K6AW, W7GG, K7RAT, N7WA, KI7Y,
K7SS, and W7WA.

My pet peeve...having the RTTY guys maliciously interfere with me...I
called NA KK7GW, and boom RTTY starts.  It stops, I call, it starts as
soon as I finish the CQ.  40 was packed with SSB below 7040 and RTTY
from 7030 up through 7050.

This was a different sort of a contest.

I, by virtue of my statement below, have taken part in the Honor Sprint
#1, conscientiously applying my most ethical interpretation of the rules
for this contest as set forth in the message to the CQ-Contest
reflector.

 Date 10/17/98   Signed David J. Jones Call KK7GW