[3830] WB9GOJ/m - IL QSO Party (story)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WB9GOJ/m - IL QSO Party (story)
From: jm_lekostaj@ibm.net (Joe LeKostaj)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:59:45 -0600
WB9GOJ/m operated the 1998 Illinois QSO Party from three 3-county borders
in south central IL:
   Coles / Moultrie / Shelby
   Christian / Montgomery / Shelby
   Sangamon / Logan / Menard

Ran almost exclusively CW, as neither my antenna nor my voicebox had enough
oomph to be heard in the crowded phone bands. Even stations that were
S9+10db had difficulty hearing me on phone. CW, however, was much more
reliable and was busy throughout the entire event.

20CW seemed to have only a fair amount of activity. 40CW and 80CW generated
the largest number of QSOs as usual. Called CQ on 15 CW at various times
during the afternoon, but got only one reply -- an LU6 who also wanted to
work me on 10CW which I gladly did. That was it for the higher bands.

Heard more than the usual handful of mobile stations, many operating from
seldom-heard counties.

The raw QSO count is 130. Not going to set any records, but had a lot of
fun. The radio gear, the ol' vehicle, and the WX all held up. The contest
ended on a farm road cutting through a cornfield, with a clear black sky
above dotted with a million stars and the Milky Way. An uncommon sight for
this city dweller. Pretty neat way to finish off the day's activities.

Rig: FT-890AT, Outbacker for 40-10m, homebrew bugcatcher w/capacity hat for
80m.

73,
Joe  WB9GOJ