[3830] CQWWSSB VU2JNA MS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWWSSB VU2JNA MS
From: vitalink@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in (P. Venkatraman)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 02:05:16 +0530
                        CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1998

      CALL: VU2JNA                   COUNTRY: India
      MODE: SSB                      CLASS: Multi Single

      160        0        0     0.0          0      0
       80        0        0     0.0          0      0
       40      112      243     2.2         16     37
       20      765     1963     2.6         35    108
       15      607     1713     2.8         27     87
       10      523     1497     2.9         23     74

     Totals   2007     5416     2.7        101    306  =>  2,204,312

All reports sent 59 22 unless otherwise noted.

Operator List: VU3PVN, VU2RIG, VU2NLF, VU3KJA, VU2SXF, VU2JPN

Equipment Description:
 Rig:      FT 990P
 Boots:    SB220
 Antenae:  3 El Beam for 20, 15, 10    Dipole for 40
 Software: CT 6.26, Geoclock

Club Affiliation: VU2JNA

This is to certify that in this contest we have operated
our transmitter within the limitations of our license and have
observed fully the rules and regulations of the license in India as
well as the rules and regulations of the contest. We are willing to
be bound by decisions of the contest organising committee.

                             Signature__________________________

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               JNA WIRELESS ASSOCIATION  (VU2JNA),
               C/O SWADI AUTOMOBILES,
               NESS BAUG, NANA CHOWK,
               BOMBAY 400 007,
               INDIA.

                              Continent Statistics
          CONTEST: CQWW98         CALLSIGN: VU2JNA           MODE: SSB

                           160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
percent

  North America      0     0     0      70     3     0    73     3.6
  South America      0     0     1      20    13     3    37     1.8
  Europe                  0     0    62    482   507   467  1518    74.7

  Asia                      0     0    45    163    54    37   299
14.7
  Africa                    0     0     3      17    15    11    46
2.3
  Oceania                 0     0     3      23    22    10    58
2.9

Soapbox Comments:

Overall
Our first attempt in the CQWW. Had great fun. Worked round the clock for
full 48 hours. 6 operators with 3 in each shift. But the guys with the
off times also wouldn't go away. The excitement was fascinating.

Equipment
Wanted to put up a dipole for 80 and 160 also. 80 was ready but the
neighbour with the acess to the roof went away on vacation resulting in
lack of access.  Hope to put up both in time for CQWPX. The linear (an
SB 220) blew its tubes 2 days before. Decided to run it with only half
way power. All equipment worked fine. Murphy struck after the event when
the logging computer which had worked for the full 48 hours blew its
fuse. Fortunately  we had a regular system of backups on floppies.

Logging
We use the CT 6.26 version. We had problems with prefixes for Canada and
China. Downloaded the latest CTY files put up on Oct 27 and solved the
problem. We are still not sure of certain zones. The zones reported by
the QSO was different than the one given by CT. We had made notes of
them. And have corrected as many as possible. But we fear that we may
not have corrected all. Next contest we will be more careful.
Unfortunately all the reading that we did for the pre contest
preparation did not prepare us for this situation. On the heat of the
moment we gave more credence to the CTY file than to the contestant
himself.

Target
We had set a benchmark of 2000 QSOs as our target. In the CQWPX we had
logged 1020 without a linear. Now with boots we thought that we should
atleast double it. HAPPY TO SAY that as per our own target set we won
the contest. Corks will pop next weekend.

MANY TNXS TO
1. ALL WHO MADE 2007 QSOs  POSSIBLE.
2. JIM FOR THE CORRECTED CTY FILES.
3. CT FOR THE SHAREWARE VERSION.