[3830] W1HIJ SOAB/LP 98 CW SS

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W1HIJ SOAB/LP 98 CW SS
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 01:48:57 EST
Wow!  Quite a chore! Started out with the intention of breaking 100K and a
Sweep. I was happy to just slightly better last year's score!  The joys of the
early days of a sunspot cycle.

Only glitch was when the radio died in the midst of a QSO with KC4TEO (sorry
about that). After 20 minutes of pulling plugs, reconnecting everything I
could think of, and then desperately trying to figure out who I could borrow a
radio from, I finally figured out that the damned timer on the 940 had somehow
gotten set and it did what it was supposed to do --- shut itself off. Can
anybody give me a good reason for a timer on a radio like the 940? or for that
matter the existence of a squelch?

Nonetheless it was fun (well maybe not exactly "fun", but ...) Wait 'til next
year!

Thanks for all the Q's, and the opportunity to renew old acquaintances, onward
through the fog -- 73, Bill

                            SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 07-Nov-98, 08-Nov-98, 09-Nov-98

    Callsign Used : W1HIJ
         Operator : W1HIJ

         Category : SOAB/LP

 Default Exchange : # A 54 ORG

             Name : William H. Scholz
          Address : P.O. Box 5791
   City/State/Zip : Newport Beach, CA 92662
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Southern California Contest Club

   40CW      176         175        350      10
   20CW      178         178        356      23
   15CW       66          66        132      17
   10CW       59          59        118      27

 Totals      479         478        956      77 (Missed PQ and NL)

    Final Score = 73612 points.

TS940, 40M Dipole, 20M Dipole, 10M Gnd Plane, TRLog 6.25