[3830] K5MDX SS CW M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K5MDX SS CW M/S
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 02:26:46 -0600 (CST)
K5MDX CW SS Multi-Single @N5FG
Ops: WQ5L W5UE N5UE K5NY

Band  QSOs
----------
80CW   121
40CW   431
20CW   339
15CW   232
10CW    33
----------
Total 1156 x 2 x 79 == 182,648

I operated the afternoon/early evening shifts both days. Concentrated on
20 to begin, and the rate was good, but also found 10 wide open to the
West and 15 wide open to the West and Northeast.

Found VY1A CQing away on 10 at 2348Z. He was whisper weak. Remembering
how the far Northern guys talk about everyone CQing in their face,
I figured me might hear me better than vice versa. Sure enough,
got him on the first call. That was a relief.

I went to 40 shortly after 0100Z and found a place to CQ quickly enough.
WX0B called in right away, then a few others, but nothing to write home
about. Then one of the guys spotted me on packet. Within a few minutes
the ensuing mob was like nothing I'd ever seen on the receiving end.
Wow! Sure made me appreciate what some of the Canadian ops go through.
This was my best hour: 86 QSOs. I could only put the rate meter over
100 for short spurts.

Later in the evening the geomagnetic storm set in. It was easy to
spot callers from the northern areas of W1/W2/W8/W9 -- they sounded
like Russians coming over the pole.

Four sections remained after the late night break: VI, PQ, MB, and NL.
W5UE knocked out the first two in the morning, then I cleaned the slate
with VE4GV at 1708Z and VO1MP at 1716Z. We wound up with six one-QSO
sections: the four above, YU/NWT, and MS (tnx W5NA!). All others had
three or more stations in the log.

15 was the place to be Sunday afternoon. 10 was open very nicely to
W1/W2 at least, evidenced by the many loud signals in the phone pileup
for E30GA, but there just weren't many folks working SS up there.

I spent the last two hours on 80, normally not a productive band
for us, but found plenty of fresh meat both S&Ping and CQing, and
nicely dispersed from coast to coast.

-- Ray  WQ5L  rocker@ametro.net