[3830] WA8YRS SS CW 1998, SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WA8YRS SS CW 1998, SOLP
From: drussell@knox.net (Don Russell)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 98 00:55:11 PST
                           ARRL NOVEMBER SWEEPSTAKES

     Call used: WA8YRS                                         Location: OH

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100W

     Callsign of Operator: WA8YRS

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:

     Exchanged Information: nr A WA8YRS 63 OH

     Hours of Operation: 17:31

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------------------
     160          0          0
      80        172        344      160 mtr doublet apex at 48 ft.
      40        263        526      same as above + vertical
      20        124        248      A3A at 50 ft
      15         66        132      ditto above
      10         37         74       ditto above the above
     ----------------------------------
     TOTAL      662       1324   X   78 multipliers  =  103,272

     Comments:

 As usual, a very fun contest.  Nice to get back in the groove.
 Started the contest by operating and watching Ohio State vs Mich.
 State, and my rate suffered the first four hours (so did my
 stomach!).  While I missed my goal of 800 QSO's, I did reach my
 100K score goal for the first time on cw ss.  Since I only worked
 17.5 hrs, I have no one to blame but me.

 I put up a 160 mtr doublet this summer, planning on using it on 160-
 40 meters.  I was very happy with the way it performed.  most of my
 263 40 mtr QSO's came from it, and all the 80 mtr ones did even though
 I ran only 25-50 watts on 80 mtr.  The power supply breaker would trip
 if I ran anymore power than that!  Must be some RF getting into it
 because of the balanced line running to the tunner.  Need to solve
 that one before SSB rolls around!  I was so happy with the doublet
 that I am thinking of taking the R5 off the tower and using to doublet
 on 20 thru 10 also.  Then I can add 10 ft to the A3A, or put a
 10 mtr beam at the very top of the mast!  Hmmmmmmm.

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     ARRL Awards Committee.

     Name: Donald Russell                  Call: WA8YRS
drussell@knox.net
           815 Brookwood Rd.
           Mt. Vernon, OH  43050