[3830] WB1GQR SS Phone SOHP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WB1GQR SS Phone SOHP
From: w1sj@vbimail.champlain.edu (Mitch Stern)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:00:43 -0500
                       ARRL November Sweepstakes -- Phone

 Call used: WB1GQR, W1SJ, op                        ARRL Section: VT

 Scoring: 271,918   QSOs: 1721   Sections: 79  Power: kw    Hours:24

 BAND        QSOs       ANT                 RIG:
 80           784       Dipole @ 50'        TS-830s  + MLA 2500A
 40           136       Dipole @ 50'
 20           649       A4 @ 50'
 15           152       A4 @ 50'

 TOTAL        1721 Qs, 79 Secs     271,918

Started off with some great runs on first 20 meters and then 80
meters.  QRM on 80 was brutal - everyone was fighting and clawing
for a piece of real estate.  It gets worse every year.  I managed 5
real big hours on 80, but after 0700 the bottom fell out suddenly.
I had hoped to make up some ground on Sunday with good conditions
on 20 and 15, but this wasn't to be.  Sunday morning on 40 meters
was lackluster, and for much of the morning 40, 20 and 15 were open
but didn't produce well.  Finally got a real good rate on 20 meters
only to have the band go out from under me.  I really thought the
receiver had gone west, but it turned out to be solar activity,
like what killed me during the CW weekend.  Sunday was hour after
hour of mediocre rates - no great runs for this station.  Next
year!!

The good news was that I finally got a functional second radio and
antenna working for S&P.  I was concerned that the vertical dipole
(vertical to keep interference from the CQ station down) wouldn't
pass muster.  However when I was able to land VY1A on 40 meters
from here, I had more faith in it.

73, Mitch W1SJ/WB1GQR

Mitch Stern
w1sj@vbimail.champlain.edu