[3830] VE2CUA 1998 SS SSB M/S HP Collegiate + Comments

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VE2CUA 1998 SS SSB M/S HP Collegiate + Comments
From: AG8L4Test@aol.com (AG8L4Test@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:58:46 EST
QSO   MULTS   SCORE   SECT   HRS   TEAM
529    79     83,582  QUEBEC 18.1  AG8L,VE2HFX

                       ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1998

      Call: VE2CUA                   Section: Quebec
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single/Collegiate
                                     College: Concordia University
                                              Montreal, Quebec

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80      267      534        -
       40       52      104        -
       20       67      134        -
       15       82      164        -
       10       61      122        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    529     1058       79

               Score:  83,582

Operator List: AG8L,VE2HFX

Equipment Description:
FT-890, Amp
10/15/20 Beam w/Broken Rotator
10-20 Log Period w/No Rotator
Wire for 40,80 & 160
16 Story Building

Comments:
This was the first sweepstakes I've been involved in
resulting in a sweep! Thanks Jay for the YT mult.

This was Ken's (VE2HFX) first sweepstakes.  He did
a great job picking up mults on Sunday, and I got to
sleep in late, which was wonderful!

I got back to the station Sunday evening and we
only had about 4 mults to go.  Once Jay worked
us, I thought there was hope.  Then PAC and AK.
Could we find South Dakota?

We moved down to 40, and when I heard W0-South-Dakota,
I knew we had it made!  Thanks W0SD for the final
mult!

One other memorable moment for me: I was thinking
about going home Saturday night with the Q total
at about 150.  I thought I'd take a stab at 80M,
despite the fact that our wire wasn't tuning up
very well.  After S&P a bit, found I was getting
out good and tried a CQ on a clear frequency.
The next two hours went by in a blur with a
massive pileup, and the CT rate meter hitting 160.
Could have been even better, but it was difficult
picking calls out of the wall of noise.  Confused
me when 4U1WB called, but I quickly figured it
out.  A real thrill, and glad to help out with
the tough PQ mult.

One other fun moment in the last hour.  I heard
the Michigan State University station on 80,
and the voice sounded familiar.  I asked the
op, "is this Ryan?" -- and it was, a friend
of mine from home.  Neither of us using our
own calls, so really neat to hook up on the
air.  He was quite surprised to have a VE2
station call him by name!

Thanks everyone for the great contest!
73 and Happy Thanksgiving,
Dave AG8L/VE2