[3830] WI9WI WW CW HP AB UA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WI9WI WW CW HP AB UA
From: jhfitzpa@facstaff.wisc.edu (James H. Fitzpatrick, Jr.)
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:44:29 -0600
>From the BLACK HOLE which was more of a shade of grey this past weekend

STATION: WI9WI
OPERATOR: WI9WI
ZONE: 4 (WI)
CATEGORY: Single Operator, High Power, Unassisted

BAND            QSOs            PTS             ZONES           COUNTRIES
160                     13              26                      7
6
80                       48             115                    13
26
40                      138            371                    21
52
20                      511           1448                  29
81
15                      540           1551                  26
77
10                      542           1569                  27
86

ALL                  1792          5080                 123
328             2,291,080

Stuff: IC-765, AL-82 (1000 watts out). 42 ft vertical for 160/80, Inv-V at
80 ft for 80, Cushcraft 2 el at 95 ft for 40, 204-BA(rotating)/204-BA(fixed
on Eu) at 100/60 ft for 20, 155BA at 55 ft for 15, 6 el at 60 ft for 10.
Plus an A-3 at 35 ft fixed on the caribbean, a low dipole for 80/40/20 and 3
short beverages. Laptop with CT 9.27.

Comments: As everyone else has noted, outstanding conditions. Did much
better than  projected, and actually revised my goals halfway through.
160/80/40 were quite noisy Friday night, but very quiet Saturday night.
Saturday day seemed slightly better than Sunday. Bit of an aurora Sunday
afternoon up here. Most JAs I've heard in years, particurlarly on 10 and 15.
Interesting to be called by somewhat rare DX including 3W, HZ, V8, 9M6, BD,
VQ9, Zone 29, etc. For those interested I will show some statistics on the
contest reflector. Spent more time than usual hunting mults and it paid off,
although my totals are puny compared to many. I've got to learn how to use a
second radio to do this.

73

Jim
WI9WI (ex-WB9HRO, etc.)