[3830] K1TO SOHP CW-only 10M Test

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K1TO SOHP CW-only 10M Test
From: K1to@aol.com (K1to@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:50:51 EST
K1TO  Single Op.  High Power  CW-only  South Florida

2024 X 145 = 1,174,500

4/4/4 @ 87'rotary / 58' fixed to Eu. / 29' fixed to USA
4L @ 56' rotary
4L @ 33' fixed SE

TS-930S + AL-1200
TS-930S barefoot

HIGHLIGHTS:

Florida Contesters - This is the first joint effort of the two
leading clubs in Florida - the Florida Contest Group and the Florida
Contest Club.  If you missed FL, you were not on!  With more scores
yet to come, our total so far exceeds 31,000 QSOs!!

Friday evening company holiday party!  This is likely to
get in the way of 10M tests for the forseeable future.  As a result,
my first QSO is at 0512Z.  Pleasantly surprised to find the band
semi-open and manage 26 Qs and 14 mults.  Later learn that it did
open well several hours earlier.

Saturday AM consecutive hours of 160-147-151-147-150.  Contention
for my run frequency was decidedly less than 2 weeks before in WW CW
when it seemed that there was always someone encroaching.

Working so many Ukrainians that it was my third most worked country.

Having never operated a 10M test seriously, and knowing that scores
vary wildly from year to year, I had no clue of what the record
might be (and frankly, I don't set goals any more and just take what
the propagation allows).  WC4E informs me that my claimed score is a
scant few thousand points above the CW-only record for the US!  Even if it
stands, I have little doubt that scores will continue to escalate in
future years.

LOWLIGHTS:

Realized the first night that my attempts to use 2 radios would be
limited at best, despite the separation between the towers.  Ended
up listening on the North Beverage most of the time and this is a
seriously compromised listening antenna on 10M.

Disappointment to see that the stack was no louder than the single
yagi at 56' on the other tower.  The 2 bottom ants were fixed in
different directions, so the added benefit of simultaneous Eu and US
overcame that.

Realizing that the band was too long for optimal conditions to
much of the populous Northeast.  Washington was my third
most worked state!  Other than my home call area, W7 was the most
frequently worked.  There have been many tests in the past when W7
was the least worked call area!  To bore you to tears, I attached the
state-by-state QSO totals, with subtotals by call area.  This
illustrates very clearly to me what had happened.  It took nearly
1000 Qs before the first MD entered the log!  Worked more VEs than
W8.

My StackMatch suddenly stopped working completely without warning.
After things slowed down, it was obvious that the 12V supply had
died.  Fortunately had a spare and made the quick swap, only to have
that one fail less than an hour later.  Hmmm.  At least the default
position is to all 3 antennas.

Later on Sunday, one of my aging TS-930s, which of course happens to
be the one hooked to the remaining working amplifier, suddenly stops
transmitting.  After turning it off for a few minutes, then back on,
it works OK.  This happens 3 more times as the afternoon progresses
and I'm thankful that it waited until that late in the test to happen.

UTC  10CW total
---  ---- -----
00Z  HOLIDAY
|       PARTY
05Z    24   24
06Z     2   26

11Z    26   52
12Z    74  126
13Z   160  286
14Z   147  433
15Z   151  584
16Z   147  731
17Z   150  881
18Z    85  966
19Z    81 1047
20Z    80 1127
21Z    83 1210
22Z   104 1314
23Z    71 1385
00Z    22 1407
01Z     2 1409
02Z     7 1416
03Z     6 1422

11Z     1 1423
12Z    44 1467
13Z   113 1580
14Z    87 1667
15Z    87 1754
16Z    53 1807
17Z    35 1842
18Z    39 1881
19Z    28 1909
20Z    25 1934
21Z    23 1957
22Z    34 1991
23Z    33 2024

QSO BREAKDOWN BY CONTINENT

N America:     1074 (53%)
S America:       43  (2%)
Europe:         753 (37%)
Africa:          15  (1%)
Asia:           118  (6%)
Oceania:         20  (1%)

QSOS PER MULTIPLIER BREAKDOWN

Mult           QSOs
CT             19
MA             40
ME             15
NH             21
RI             4
VT             5        W1 = 104
NJ             35
NY             70       W2 = 105
DC             1
DE             3
MD             25
PA             41       W3 = 70
AL             10
FL             43
GA             15
KY             5
NC             11
SC             4
TN             17
VA             27       W4 = 132 (89 non-FL)
AR             7
LA             4
MS             1
NM             12
OK             5
TX             40       W5 = 69
CA             118
HI             4        W6 = 122
AK             9
AZ             18
ID             9
MT             7
NV             7
OR             24
UT             7
WA             46
WY             5        W7 = 127
MI             28
OH             42
WV             8        W8 = 78
IL             31
IN             13
WI             22       W9 = 66
CO             30
IA             11
KS             10
MN             33
MO             11
NE             4
ND             3
SD             4        W0 = 106
NS             9
QC             6
ON             24
MB             6
SK             8
AB             8
BC             14
NB             3
PEI            1
NF             1        VE = 80
4L             1
4X             3
5A             -- (heard 5A1A @ 28101+)
5B             1
5H             1
5N             1
8P             1
9A             19
9J             1
A4             1
C6             1
CE             5
CT             1
CX             3
DL             130
DU             1
EA             25
EA8            5
EI             3
EL             1
ER             1
ES             5
EU             4
F              45
FK             1
FM             1
G              58 (might be inflated by /Ms)
GM             6
GU             1
GW             5
HA             36