[3830] K8MK CQ 160 CW, Multi-op, OHIO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K8MK CQ 160 CW, Multi-op, OHIO
From: k8mk@MidOhio.Net (James Hurt)
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 06:35:54 -0500
K8MK Multi-op, OHIO

Operators: N8VW, K8MK, and Oreo, WR8C's bird dog, who kept wanting to
                  sit in the operator's lap all weekend. 50 lb. female
German wire-hair.

861 Q's, 107 mults, (56 states & prov., 51 countries), 3133 QSO points
for
335,231 score

Band was down on the first night, opened nicely the second. Not a real
serious effort here as a couple of the fellows now have significant
others and could not attend. Spent a lot of time tuning around, and not
as much time CQ'ing as we might have.  Most of the load was once again
carried by N8VW.  Managed to work 138 EU stations,  I think that's
pretty good for our modest station here in Ohio.

Equipment here is an IC-765 driving an Ameritron AL-1500. Transmit
antenna is 90' of base-insulated Rohn 25G (12" face) linear-loaded for
160. It seems to perform well compared to some of the multi-element
arrays now appearing on the band. Listening setup is comprised of 6
beverages, of which two are  phased 270' apart, 880' long for EU.

This will be out last CW contest at the current location (WR8C's QTH).
Our thanks to him and his XYL for their patience and understanding the
last 7 years or so while we have periodically taken over the hamshack.
We will be disassembling the ENTIRE low-band setup and moving it to my
new home, a few miles south.  We hope to be back up and running on a
limited basis next fall.  I do not have the room that WR8C has, so it
will be interesting tyring to get it working again in the new location.

Jim
K8MK