[3830] N5IA & N7GP, CQ 160 Scores

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5IA & N7GP, CQ 160 Scores
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 23:29:44 -0700
        First of all, thanks to all who contacted or attempted to contact
these two stations, located 15 miles apart but in different states and
different CQ Zones.  The locations are in Hidlago County, New Mexico and
Greenlee County, Arizona about 80 miles north of the Mexico border.
        Robin and I thoroughly enjoyed this contest as we were running the
real time test of two comparably equipped stations with the exception of
the transmit antennas.  Thanks to those who have already sent us comparison
reports of the two signals.  And a reminder to others to do so if you made
notes or remember how our two signals compared.
        Conditions were very poor the 1st night due to very heavy QRN.  It
sounded just like the middle of summer.  An apology to all the stations we
could not pull through the static crashes.  The 2nd night was much better
with little QRN.  Sunday morning the two 9M stations and BT1WW were S-9 on
the Beverages.
        OBTW, the true difference in the two operations was that WA6CDR is
a much better CW Op than I am.  Here are the results.        Milt, N5IA

                         CQ 160 METER CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: N7GP                     Country:  United States, AZ, Zone 3
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator, High Power

               QSO     QSO PTS   STATES & PROVINCES   COUNTRIES      SCORE

     Totals    653      1923            54                 28   =   157,686

                              STATION EQUIPMENT

    FT-1000 MP + ALPHA 76,  Horizontal TX antennas at 80 Meters above
ground                                  level.  Dipole oriented NE/SW and 3
half waves                                    phased colinear oriented
NW/SE.  4, 2 WL Bevs.

      Call: N5IA                      Country:  United States, NM, Zone 4
      Mode: CW                        Category: Single Operator, High Power

               QSO     QSO PTS   STATES & PROVINCES   COUNTRIES      SCORE

     Totals    582      1530            55                 15   =   107,100

                              STATION EQUIPMENT

    FT-1000 MP + ALPHA 91B,   Vertical TX antenna; full sized 1/4 WL Ground
Plane
                              elevated 1/8 WL above ground level.  8, 1 WL
Bevs.

    DX list for N7GP                            DX list for N5IA

   8P     1     KP2     1                 No big deal, but did include
  9M2     1     OK      1                 24 JA and ON & ZP which Robin
  9M6     1     OM      2                 did not work.
   CM     1     OY      1
   DL     3     OZ      1
   EA     1     PA      2
    F     2     S5      1                 N5IA missed Maine for a clean
    G     2     TY      1                 sweep of states.  Also no DC.
   HB     1     V4      1
   HL     1     VK      1                 N7GP missed Mississippi for a
    I     2     XE      2                 clean sweep of states.  + no DC.
   JA    36     YU      1
  KH6     3     ZF      2
   KL     3     ZS      1