[3830] KK7GW Feb CW sprint SOLP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KK7GW Feb CW sprint SOLP
From: kk7gw@wa.freei.net (David Jones)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:15:00 -0800
                      SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 14-Feb-99

    Callsign Used : KK7GW
         Operator : KK7GW

         Category : Single operator/Low power (100 watts)

 Default Exchange : # David WA

             Name : David Jones
          Address : 11427 110th AVE NE
   City/State/Zip : Kirkland, WA 98033
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Rush Drake Orchestra

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   80CW       20                20              20         0         0
   40CW       56                56              56         2         0
   20CW      103              103            103       36         1

 Totals        179              179           179        38         1

    Final Score = 6981 points.

 Hours of operation: 3:58
 Power out: 100 watts
 Equipment: Kenwood TS-530 with VFO-240, Vectronics antenna
tuner, DSP-9, TR-log 6.33.

Antennas: 20m dipole at 25 feet, and 40m dipole at 13 feet.

Comments: Wow!  I was just hoping to break 100 q's in this.
Starting at about 2300z I cranked the keyer up to 30-35 wpm and
ran a whole bunch of stateside stuff.  That really seemed to get my
brain going and ready for the start.

Of course, with 2 minutes to go, I happen to get a pile while I'm
booting the computer to DOS to run TR.  So Randy, K5ZD, that's
why I kept sending AS, cause I couldn't type and send at the same
time!

Right at 0000z I sent NA KK7GW, and got a 3 station pile, great,
except that they were all within 100 Hz of each other!  Finally got a
W9, and got W9YH into the log.  I felt loud on 20 the first couple
hours, seemed like I could bust a lot of the piles and get answers.

One of my big problems in the sprint, especially on CW, has been
having a really slow start.  I think doing the QRQ running for the
hour leading up really helped, because I got the rhythm right away,
and cranked off 32 Q's in the first 31 minutes.

Decided to stay on 20 as long as I could, finally packed it up at
0207z with 103 q's, already past my goal.  At that point I reset my
goal for 175.  Dashed upstairs for 2 minutes to grab a Pepsi and
take a quick bathroom break, hence the 03:58.

Back on to 40, and what do you know?  I'm actually getting good
rate there too!  Not quite like 20, but enough to sustain my push to
175.  Finally down to 80 at 0322z.  Picked up several 3 banders
and several 20/80 and 40/80 2-banders, that was strange.  How did
I miss Tree on 40?!

Thanks to Ward, N0AX for relaying my score on 3830, I can hear
all kinds of stuff on 80 (Bill W4AN was S6 on 3830 for example) but
I can't work beans on 80, much less 75.

Overall, a great contest for me, would have been nice to get a few
more mults, but I thought it was lots of fun.  New goal to break 200
now!

See you all next weekend from the K7RAT M/2...nobody better
take our frequencies!

73
David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw@wa.freei.net