[3830] KI0LO SOABLP RTTY WPX

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] KI0LO SOABLP RTTY WPX
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:10:19 -0600
1999 World-Wide RTTY WPX Contest

Call:     KI0LO (at W0NKL)
Location: KANSAS, USA

CLASS: Single Operator
       All Band
       Low Power (100W)

Band     QSOs  PTS  WPX (only new mults per band shown)
------------------------
80m:      97   210   25
40m:     152   440   54
20m:     198   303   79
15m:     251   528  104
10m:      82   201   29
------------------------
Totals:  780  1682  291   = 489,462 Claimed Score

Hours Operated: 29.5

Station Description: Yaseu FT-920, InRad 500 Hz Filter,
                     WriteLog/RTTYRite v9.22 (yet another flawless performance!)

Antennas: Mosley Pro-67C at 150 ft (40m-10m)
          80m Inverted V at 100 Ft

Club Competition:  Kansas City DX Club

Soapbox:

My second time in WPX and first time at a *real* station.  Wow. My deepest
thanks go out to Jim, W0NKL, for the use of his aluminum, coax, comfy chair
and couch. This wire antenna stuff I play with at home must go... ;-)
Thanks again, Jim!

Never used any kind of beam before so didn't really know what to do - as it
turns out, I discovered the general rule is: point it at EU or JA and go to
town! Had a number of sustained good runs, with lots of DX calling me (for
a change!) 15 meters was my bread-and-butter band; 80m was suprisingly
empty all weekend.

Biggest thrill: Every new mult worked Sunday afternoon - they just kept a
comin'...

Biggest gripe (well, two actually):
1) The many stations who gave the full exchange at the same time they
answered a CQ (mostly new contesters I'm sure, but *several* did it on
every band I worked them) and 2) The stations who wanted to work me on a
frequency even though I was answering a CQ. Had one guy follow me around on
*three* bands and do that...

Had a great time in the contest, learned a *lot* about running with the big
dogs and surpassed my original goals of 400k points and 650 Qs by a
considerable margin. My entry last year was the first time I had been in an
RTTY contest. Boy, what a difference a year makes.  Needless to say, I'm
quite pleased. See you next year!

73,

-Marty KI0LO
 martyt@pobox.com