[3830] WB0O ARRL CW - SO HP AB Unassisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WB0O ARRL CW - SO HP AB Unassisted
From: wb0o@metigoshe.ndak.net (William Straw)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:01:06 -0600
WB0O ARRL CW SO HP AB Unassisted

160     12     10
80       85     39
40     149     46
20     104     53
15     352     49
10     298     52
----------------------
         1000  X 249 =  747,000    24 hours

Comments:

There was lots of big time Aurora here Wed/Thurs nights, so
it was difficult to get very excited about this one. Even worse
will be reading the writeups from the East Coast stations
about how good condx were.

The packet pileups on me were amazing. I would be going
along on 10 or 15 at 100 an hour then suddenly things would
explode! I tried split a few times, but usually would just QSY
20 kc and start over, but it would happen again every 15
minutes or so.

There isn't much incentive in this contest, other than some
arbitrary goal like 1000 Q's. Last year I had the top HP score
for all of 0-land, which should count for something, but the
score was buried as usual. Why can't the ARRL list the scores
by call areas, like the CQWW results? All the postings about
different classes in contests just point to the fact that people
want a goal to shoot for, to try to get to the top of their "heap".
I hit my 1000 Q's at 10:00 AM on Sunday morning and turned
the radio off, because there was no point in pushing further.
I'm not going to beat the 5's in The "West Gulf Division" that
the ARRL has lumped me with in the "Top Box" results, so
does it really matter if I make another 200 Q's? It does matter
to my family, so the radio went off.

73 Bill WB0O in Northern North Dakota