[3830] W4PA ARRL DX CW SO/HP/AB top 10!! NOT!! (long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W4PA ARRL DX CW SO/HP/AB top 10!! NOT!! (long)
From: srobbins@usit.net (Scott Robbins)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:52:41 -0500 (EST)

W4PA ARRL DX CW SO/HP/AB

1394/304 = 1,270,416 claimed in 26 hours of operation.

Ugh.  What a mess.  You can plan for every possible circumstance
that might occur during a major DX contest except for the ones
you have no control over.  After finishing in the top 10 for this
one last year I was hopeful and eager to make it two in a row.
It was not to be!

I keep a notepad on the table while operating to write little notes
to myself during the contest.  One of them reads "1513Z 15M SOLAR
FLARE?".  During the Saturday morning European runs I heard the
noise level in the receiver go from nil to about S7 and the station
I was working at that moment drift into the noise.  ACK!  I thought
it was another solar disturbance like the one we had on Thursday.
After a few minutes, though, the noise subsided and operation
continued as normal.  I heard the same thing occur a few more times
during the afternoon; noise level goes up, signals go down, never
thought a thing of it.

0000Z goes by and I am rolling.  24 hours straight on the air and
I am not even sleepy.  The JA's are booming in on 10 meters.  I do
a quick score projection based on the halfway results and am looking
at 2,570,000 - better than last year.  I am very motivated.  I decide
to stick it out and go all 48 hours without taking a break.

....and then.  Well, the noise came back.  At 0130Z I was running loud
JA's on 15 when I heard "crackle, kuhcrackle, crackle, grrrrrrrrrrreeerr
bazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrrrrbbbbbbbbrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
in both headphones.  I was S&Ping Europeans on 80 at the same time and
instantly I had a 20 dB over 9 EMI noise level on 80.  S7 on 15m.
I was a little surprised, but I recognized this was the same sound I
had heard briefly earlier in the day.  Figuring it would go away, I
continued to CQ on 15 and abandoned 80 for the moment.

Well, after 30 minutes it hadn't gone away.  At 0200Z, I took off the
headphones and went upstairs to get something to eat, and when I
returned 20 minutes later it was still buzzing as loud as ever.
I continued to check on and off over the next hour and the noise
would not subside.  160, 80, and 40 were completely useless.  20
and 15 were audible but all I could hear through the racket were
loud USA stations.

Fine, then.  No reason to get upset, I'll just sleep for a couple
of hours.  Go to sleep, get up, go downstairs.  Noise is still
there.  Go back to sleep for 60 to 90 minutes.  Repeat.  No better.

Then, I wake up at 0715Z (2:15 am local), go down to the ham shack.
IT'S GONE!  Thank goodness!  I immediately switch the amp off of
standby and start CQing on 80.  Europeans immediately start coming
back - great, I'll be able to make up some lost ground and I was off
the air during the not-so-hot-time-and-I'm-doing-fine-and-great-and-
let's-get-the-160-antenna-hooked-up ag a i n . .. ..    .    .

After less than 10 minutes, it was back.  20 dB over 9 on 80 meters.
I tried in vain for the next 30 minutes to S&P through it on 40m but
there was nothing that could be done.  I elect to again get some more
sleep.  I keep getting up, hoping the noise would be gone and I could
get back in there and call CQ some more.

Well...it didn't go away.  The moment of truth came at 1200Z, when I
could hear the east coast pounding out Europeans and I was sitting
in the radio room with an S7 buzzsaw on every high band, unable to
copy anything.  I realized that I had basically been off the air for
10 straight hours, my score was no longer competitive and I was an
odd combination of sleepy, awake, frustrated and hungry.   The "noise"
had no sign of leaving, so with great reluctance I turned off the
computer, unhooked all the equipment and called it a weekend.

Postscript:  I went downstairs to check on the noise level in late
morning to find that it had disappeared.  I tuned to 80 meters to
check to make sure, and after a couple of minutes right before my eyes
I had a repeat of the "buzz, grrrr, crackle" syndrome and it was back at
20 over 9 again.  Two quick checks in mid-afternoon indicated no noise
level, but by this time I was thoroughly decompressed from competition
mode and didn't even bother trying to work anyone.

I have not the foggiest idea what this noise was or what it could have
been caused by.  I have spent many, many hours on the air at this QTH
since I first ran the 1996 CQ WW CW from here and I have never heard
anything like I heard this weekend.

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!

Scott Robbins, W4PA
TCG Facilitator

Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>
    LITTLE FEAT owns the groove at <http://www.littlefeat.net>
The views expressed above do not represent the view of my employer.