[3830] VO1MP ARRLDX-CW/LP/SO1R/UNA

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] VO1MP ARRLDX-CW/LP/SO1R/UNA
From: gussam@newcomm.net (Gus VO1MP)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:22:07 -0330
VO1MP  Gus Samuelson
St. Phillips Newfoundland
                   ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST 1999

      Call: VO1MP                    Country:  Canada
      Mode: CW                       Category: SO/LP/1R/UNA

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80      136      408   3.0       52
       40      304      912   3.0       54
       20      532     1596   3.0       71
       15      366     1098   3.0       75
       10      316      948   3.0       67
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1654     4962   3.0      319  =   1,582,878  => 38 HRS.

                         Continent Statistics

                    VO1MP       Single Operator

                 160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent

North America      0   17   11   15   22   14   79     4.8
South America      0    2    2    6    9    7   26     1.6
Europe             0  112  281  479  308  280 1460    88.3
Asia               0    1    5   26   24   10   66     4.0
Africa             0    2    2    3    2    3   12     0.7
Oceania            0    2    3    3    1    2   11     0.7

Soap Box :
CT says about 29 hours however by my reckonning it was more like 38 !!
I really should do something about 160 !! unlike some others I live on
a 2.5 acre lot. So I don;t have the USUAL excuse.

Total Countries available seemed to be lower than usual,
 A lot of European countries that I  would normally work
while running never showed ! Mebbe we're developing our own
 black hole from here hi!
 Conditions were dodgy at beginning of test as was
forecast. Spent a lot of time in S & P,  however Sunday CQ'in
produced a few good hours.
Based on what had I had experienced on Friday night the bed
looked too inviting so I booked off tired for about 7 hours
overnight Saturday, not sure what I missed, but  I think 20
was open around the clock.
80 was very noisy on Friday night/Saturday morning.

 Love it when a Mult asks me to QSY thanks guys  for that.
 I get the impression that a lot of the Dxpedition Caribbean guys
 are only interested in CQ'in / making lots of Q's/ and the score
 comes to them by default hi ! Mebbe one day I'll go and find out.

 Usual gripe about frequency theft ... where might is right.
 Any body who operates this test without a 250hz filter has to be
 LOUD and WIDE. Low power is definitely masochistic, however there
 were times during the test when propagation enabled me to hold
 a run freq. a bit longer.

 LITTLE EDITORIAL HERE ABOUT MY PET PEEVE !!

 Was given a LITTLE GRIEF  on two occasions by TWO BIG guns
 who shall remain nameless but  try John and Bob for size
 Bob shows up on my 15 Meter (low in the band) run frequency
 then promptly asked( told ) me to QSY , like I haven't been
 here for 2 hours yet, however he did capitulate and withdrew
 in gentlemanly fashion when advised.
  John shows up on 40 meters on Sunday afternoon , obviously
  anxious to pad his country total with more Europeans.
  I  had been  running on 7007.3 for about an hour or so
 before he appears with a 40 over signal... and proceeds to
  CQ on 7007.5 Like I was invisible/inaudible ( mebbe I was )
  ..... he chose to ignore my protests. Like I Said I do have
   a 250hz filter otherwise I'm SHure out of luck .
 BTW both of these guys wrote the book on Single Op contesting
 literally and figuratively speaking ... so it's interesting for
  me to observe from my peanut whistle perspective the difference
 in their respective approaches. There were other minor squirmishes
 as there always are in the heat of battle .
 Not like this is a recent phenomenon , but  I think
 I will start making a note log of these incidents  for future
 reference, maybe the contesting community needs an operating
 ethics/contest behaviour committee.
 Needless to say none of the above served to diminish my resolve
 or lessen my enthusiasm and in retrospect I  find it all quite amusing!!
  Occupational hazard so to speak.
 The way I see it the fun and satisfaction of the test
  far outweighs the aggravation created by the minor
 momentary lapses of manners by our peers.
 As Leo once said "nice guys finish last" , however I do not
 necessarily subscribe to that theory.

 73 CU NEXT ONE. GUS/VO1MP