[3830] W0MU 10M Single Band ARRL DX SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0MU 10M Single Band ARRL DX SSB
From: rhiker@uswest.net (Mike Fatchett)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 00:04:53 -0700
388 X 85 =98940

What can I say the first 2 hours were great and that is about it!  Nice to
have some 10m back.  Was hoping for lots more.

Highlights:

4th Qso VR2BG  Nice signal  Good start!
53 Q;s in fist 15 minutes!!!!  Lets go!
1st Hour 122Q's  Not to bad but things are going away.  Band is good but
where are the JA's?
2nd Hour on 66 Q's  Band closed quick.

Get to the station a bit tardy. Only open to SA so I doubt I have missed
anything.
Caribbean coming in great but it is changing radically from barely audible
to 40 over in minutes.
First European worked at 1333  TM1C on skew path over SA.  Amazed I am
heard.
IR4T worked 15 minutes later.  Still Skew.
Work JA7OWD Long Path at 1400.  I think this is a first for me.  Big signal.
Where are the others?
Normal path to Europe finally late, but nothing.
Work 3 OH's and an SK in the 2100 hour.  Fluttery  some weak and some very
strong. Hoping for a big run that does not materialize.

This is supposed to be fun right?  Decide that the station plays pretty well
worked all but 2 stations that I heard.  Missed an OD5 and LY2 very late.

Stack experiment failed.  I did not have a chance to check that the antennas
were in phase.  It is obvious they are not.  Both Antenna's hear well but
together they are much worse.  Lower antenna fixed at EU.  Never used it :(.
TH7 at 50 Feet works very well into the Caribbean even with the SWR problem.
Been up about 7 years must be time for a rebuild.

Very Impressed with the C3 at 80 Feet.  The only pileup that I had any
problems with was HK0F.  Finally worked him but it was on the 5th or 6th
pass.  Most of the Caribbean was worked on one call and the same for Africa
and or course the Pacific.  Some of the pileups on the African's were huge.
Same with the V7 pile WOW!

Most memorable moments were running across a station on LSB.  It was on of
the KP3 stations who will remain nameless.  I wish I could have heard the
conversation in the shack when I told him.   The other was hearing an
African station taking the pileup by the horns and informing the masses that
he was not really in the contest and would just go QRT.

Was fun to get back in the seat again.  15 might have been the better choice
from here.  I didn't feel like I was competitive on that band.  That should
change in the next few weeks as the 2nd C3 is phased in.

73 and see you all in the WPX

Mike
W0MU
(WR0A)