[3830] K4ZW ARRL SSB DX 20 Meter Single Band

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4ZW ARRL SSB DX 20 Meter Single Band
From: Ken.Claerbout@globalone.net (Ken Claerbout)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:47:35 -0500
K4ZW - 20 Meter Single Band - High Power

1115 QSO's
117 Countries
391,365 Final Score

     Since I'm still without a 10 and 15 meter antenna system (coming soon), I
decided to put my new 20 meter antennas to the test.  The system consists of
two 4 element Cushcraft yagis at 100' and 50'.  The bottom antenna is fixed on
Europe.  Going into the weekend, I had visions of better results but
conditions were not very good.  I also found myself taking a much more relaxed
approach to this contest; especially late at night.  If I was tired, I laid
down.
     I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the lower antenna
especially late in the afternoon.  I've often found the Europeans at least 1 S
unit louder.  Like many, I guess I get fixated on getting the top antennas up
high but forget that lower placed antennas can perform as well if not better
at various times of the day.
     The next step is to get the second tower up and finish off the 10 & 15
meter antenna systems.  My goal, budget and time permitting, is to have
everything ready for the fall so I can compete in the Single Op All Band
category again.

73

Ken K4ZW