[3830] W2GD Field Day 5A NNJ Low Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W2GD Field Day 5A NNJ Low Power
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 13:43:54 PDT
Call:  W2GD  (+K2YSY)
Class: 5A
Power: Less than 150 Watts
Club:  Cherryville Repeater Assoication II
Location:  Hunterdon County Library, Route 12, Flemington, NNJ

          CW    SSB     Total
80        402   500       902    Inverted Vs @ 50'
40      1,022   885     1,907    402CD/Dipole @ 50'
20      1,151   957     2,108    204BA/C3S @ 50' and 40'
15        420   245       668    4 ele. @ 50'
10         44   193       237    4 ele. @ 45'
Novice      0   258       258    A4 @ 42'
6          10   334       344    8 ele. @ 50'
2           5    79        84    12 ele. @ 45'
Sat         5    41        46    Various
Totals  3,059  3,510     6,569

Total Score:    20,450 points (including bonuses)

Soapbox:
First time we've entered the 5A class.
First ever score over 20,000 points.
Good but very hot and humid weather made putting up 8 towers (310 total feet
- another first) safe and fortunately uneventful.
Electric starter on 10KW generator failed, but hand cranking had it firing
just minutes before zero hour.
About 35 non-ham visitors (another record), including reporters from 4
different newspapers.  PR releases work!
Lots of enthusiasm for our fall licensing classes.
Great food all weekend, especially dinner on Saturday night.
We qualified for all bonuses except message relaying (who still does that
one?).
Punk high band conditions were somewhat blunted by good runs on 40 and 80.
Yes, we use beverages to hear on the low bands.
About 50% of our club members participated, helped by a number of our
Frankford Radio Club neighbors.
Best ever QSO totals on 40 phone and cw, 20 phone and cw, novice phone, and
VHF/UHF.  Our satellite crew worked wonders with limited pass time.
Teardown accomplished in just under 3.5 hours, no small feat for this size
of operation.
We're already planning next year's improvements.

Special congratulations to the W3AO 7A and the N1FD 28A teams for their
outstanding FD scores.

73, John W2GD
Trustee, CRAII