[3830] WL7E WPX CW M/M

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] WL7E WPX CW M/M
From: kl7y at alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Tue Jun 1 01:43:17 1999
Wow, two days without much aurora.  Before the contest we kept thinking
that conditions were good enough for a good score if only we didn't get
hit with a geomagnetic storm.  It didn't happen and conditions were
decent both days.  20 and 15 were open around the clock although not
always runnable. (I wish!)  Great long openings into Europe, although
the stateside openings were kind of dismal.  We made 3 point QSOs every
hour throughout the contest on both 20 and 15.  10 even showed a bit of
life.  P3A showed up out of nowhere.  3W7CW was copiable all of the
second night even when we could hear no other stations on 10.  40 was
disappointing - at times there seemed to be a wall between us and
anything east of W6/7.  LU8XW, on the other hand, was in all night both
nights.  80 and 160 were the usual struggles.  Both USA and JA seemed
down on all bands.  Probably lost a lot of potential W prefixes.  Still,
the long European openings made up for it.

We lost one amp when the T/R relay went out - the pitfalls of buying
used vacuum relays.  The CT network played fine for 36 hours, then the
computer on 40 started crashing and trashing the network.  Murphy works
in mysterious ways.

All in all it was a great contest.  Decent conditions and a good time by
all of the ops.  This score is considerably above the North American
Multi-Multi record.

        QSOS             PTS          PTS/QSO            PX

160       12              62            5.2               1
 80      233            1123            5.0              16
 40      582            2906            5.0              59
 20     2169            5850            2.7             466
 15     2702            7254            2.7             496
 10      178             484            2.7              18

TOTAL   5866           17679            3.0            1056

                                     => 18,669,024

OPS:  WL7E, KL7Y, KL5E, KL5T, WA2GO and WL7KY

                                                Dan KL7Y