[3830] W4AN IARU 99 CW Only

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W4AN IARU 99 CW Only
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:46:37 -0400 (EDT)

             CW      CW     SSB     SSB    band
     band   QSOs     pts   QSOs      pts   mults
     160      15      25       0       0      8
      80      52     134       0       0     22
      40     307    1013       0       0     43
      20    1072    4598       0       0     65
      15     749    3079       0       0     61
      10      54     190       0       0     23
     TOTAL  2249    9039       0       0    222       SCORE: 2,006,658

Last year Randy got me on 80 and 160.  This year he got me everywhere.
Still, I feel really good about the effort considering conditions.  Last
year my post contest line was...

 TOTAL  2205    8739       0       0    223       SCORE: 1,948,797

Bag-o-excuses:  An oldy, but goodie...  QRN.  Storms raged all around me
most of Saturday afternoon.  Kept asking guys to repeat on even 15 meters.
Eventually I ended up with a 30 minute off time due to close lightning.
The QRN really hurt me on 40 meters.  After listening to QRN for 4 hours
on 15 and 20, I just couldn't get motivated for the low bands.  Ended up
staying on 20 where it was quieter.

24 hours is the ticket for a DX contest.  You better know your bands with
only one shot at the opening.  Really makes you think and work hard.

My congrats to GeoIII, N6TR, K5ZD, and KQ2M for very fine efforts.  Others
I'm sure to follow.  Heard N2IC and W6EEN a lot and doing well.

------

FT1000MP X 2
AL-1500 Amp
Alpha 87A Amp
NA software

160: 6 beverages & sloping elevated 1/4 wave wire fed against 3 radials.
80:  10 beverages & 4-square.
40:  3l full size yagi @ 110', 2l CapYagi @ 65', 2 beverage
20:  5l on 48' boom @ 60', 5l on 42' boom @ 45', 204BA fixed SE
15:  6/6 OWA yagis on 36' booms, bottom fixed to EU, 5l on 36' boom @ 30',
     5l on 34' boom fixed SE @ 25'
10:  8/8 on 48' booms fixed to EU @ 43' over 18', 7l on 34' boom at 125',
     7l on 34' boom at 37', 5/5 on 24' booms rotory at 50' over 25'.

160:  DA0HQ was only Europe.
80:   Very noisey.  Way down from last year.  Successful pass of N2NL/KH2
      here which was a surprise in July.  Got my LU at sundown and ended
      up working 3 or 4 more.
40:   Very noisey.  Way down from last year.  JA's were good for 20 mins.
20:   Great except for QRN.  Fabulous conditions all night.
15:   Great.  Kept going back there all night picking up mults over the
      pole.  Even with big signals on the band at 1:00am local, CQ's
      failed to attract attention.
10:   Heard quite a few EU's that didn't hear me.  This was one of those
      weekends when a lot of antenna really paid off.  The high 7l beaming
      90 degrees was the only antenna that was quiet enough to hear them.

See you in NAQP.

73

Bill