[3830] N5ZC HP Mixed Mode

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5ZC HP Mixed Mode
From: rthorne@tcac.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:59:50 -0500
345q's   51 zones  27 hq's  97,422 points.

I played in this one for a few hours to work out the remaining bugs for
my remoted controlled contest station.  Main problem was activating the
PTT on phone and  keying the Kachina 505DSP on cw with the computer lpt
port.  I think I have that solved now.

I use my main computer (screen directly in front of me) to run Writelog
and a laptop on my left to run the Kachina 505dsp.  I have my paddle to
the right and also have the rotor/antenna control window on my main
computer.  With all of Writelogs windows its easy to organize the screen
so its efficient.  I can fit Writelog and the Kachina software on my 17"
screen but then I can only use the active window.  Its nice to have the
laptop on my left so I can be constantly tuning (s&p) with the cursor in
the logging window, instead of using the mouse to jump back and forth.

I'm looking forward to the day when Writelog, CT and NA can communicate
with the 505dsp. I'm hoping that this is only a matter of time.  Its
going to be really neat to use Writelog with its great two rig support
and a pair of Kachinas and amps over to the side out of the way.

See you in the NAQP's as the last and final test for my remote station
before the fall contest season.  The last improvement I'm making this
summer is the addition of an Acom 2000A autotune amplifier which shipped
this week.  That should improve the xmit signal just a bit.  Now if I
just had room for taller and bigger towers on top of my office roof.....

Richard Thorne - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Amarillo, TX
Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html