[3830] N3BB NA Sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N3BB NA Sprint
From: n3bb@mindspring.com (Jim George, N3BB)
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:07:55 -0600
282 X 46 = 12872.  CTDXCC

It was good to get back into the Sprint, but it's like coming out of a pit
stop into the fast lane!  We had a small team from the CTDXCC (Central
Texas DX & Contesting Club) and it was fun for the guys here and we helped
a little with the (very good) level of activity.  6D2X was one of our guys
to augment the "rare" Texas QSOs.  Hope everyone got XE from K5TSQ.

I operated this sprint with pencil and paper, with dupe sheets etc. like
the old days.  Used the KC keyer with one programmed message for a response
to a CQ, when I had to leave the frequency, and the other message when I
would call a station, and stay on the frequency for a second (hopefully)
call.  It took me a while to get the rhythm going, and occasionally would
go brain dead and use the wrong sequence.  Also, the numbering sequence got
off one number a couple of times, so I'll write AG9A and note all that for
the checkers.  80 was quite noisey, and I went there late (0315), but the
beverages made the copy halfway decent.  Some of the soapbox comments have
been interesting, and one person said he started on 40, and another said he
stayed on 40 and didn't go to 80.  Any comments on that from the
cognoscente?

Congrats to the top tier guys who seem to make this thing look easy!  I
appreciate stations like K6NA who took the time to correct me when I was
about to log N6NA.  Tree did some smooth QSYing to get away from big time
QRM once to complete a difficult exchange.  N6ZZ sounded great from here.
Generally the accuracy movement was noted, and people waited for the QSO
"QSL" before they launched into the next one.

There are the special moments like when a Utah station sent me #3 late on
20 meters at a rather slow rate.  Never did hear KS, ME, DE, etc.  The
people with 50 levels of mults are terrific.

73,

Jim George  N3BB(/5)