[3830] CQWW RTTY Single Band (80m)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW RTTY Single Band (80m)
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:29:25 -0500
Callsign:  KE9NA
Type of Operation: Single Op, Single Band (80 meters)
Hours of Operation: 5

QSOs: 57
Points: 67
Zone Multipliers: 6
Country Multipliers: 5
States/Prov: 31

Total Points: 2,814

Station Description:

FT-1000D, Homebrew 4-1000A linear (backed off to 900 Watts), Dipole @ 55
feet, KAM+, Timewave DSP-599zx

Comments:

Could only work the contest on Friday night because of other personal
committments to my YL.  I had wanted to do a full bore 80m only attempt.
The last time I did this contest (2 years ago), 80M was hopping
incredibly.  I worked more on 80 than any other band.  Since then I
improved my antenna and antenna height and also got a better rig and an
amp.  Figured if I had pileups last time with 100 Watts and a 35 to 40
foot dipole, I should do better with a 55 to 60 foot dipole.

I don't know why, but for some reason that band was totally dead.  For
the first couple hours there were 3 of us on the band calling CQ that I
could hear: W3LPL, W8EB and myself.  I didn't hear the other two working
many for a while, but then W3LPL started working Europeans that I
couldn't even hear!  Perhaps the higher bands stayed open much later into
the night so people didn't move down to 80m.  Oh well, such is life!

The highlight was working HC8N.  Their signal was somewhat weak as
Galapagos is off the end of my dipole, but I managed to work them.

I pulled the plug around 1 AM local time.  I was dog tired and was
falling asleep at the computer!

Oh well....maybe next year!

73,

Jon