[3830] K6NA (K6LL op) CQP score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K6NA (K6LL op) CQP score
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:56:19 -0600

        K6NA (K6LL op) CAL QSO PARTY

    Contest Dates : 02-Oct-99, 03-Oct-99
    Callsign Used : K6NA
         Operator : K6LL
         Category : SOHP
 Default Exchange : #, SDG

  160CW        1           1          3       0
  160SSB       1           1          2       0
   80CW      101         100        300       0
   80SSB      84          82        164       1
   40CW      150         149        447       0
   40SSB      78          78        156       0
   20CW      181         180        540       3
   20SSB     273         272        544       0
   15CW      199         194        582       4
   15SSB     308         308        616      12
   10CW      127         127        381       1
   10SSB    1078        1065       2130      37

 Totals     2581        2557       5865      58

       cw qso's:  751 (29%)
      ssb qso's: 1806 (71%)
    Final Score: 340,170 points.

equipment:
one TS-850 (mine)
one 486DX33 (mine), running TR
one little Alpha 78 (Glenn's), 1300W output on a good day.

antennas (Glenn's), from memory, so all numbers are approx.
160: phased wire verticals
80: 2 el wire yagi
40: 3 el yagi @ 140'
20: 5/5 @ 140'/60'
15: 5/5 @ 150'/60', also 5/5 @ 90'/60' fixed on USA
10: 5 el @ 60'

Comments:

Just a one-radio low-tech effort, using Glenn's wonderful
antenna farm.

I guess I got carried away on 10 meters, working
almost half (47%) of the overall q's on that band. That is
probably a carryover from my operating at home, where the
tower height is only 48 feet, so I'm used to spending max
time on the highest band open. I must have worked every
WD8 in the FCC's database. I even got a call from "Red
Rooster One!" It's kind of funny that all of these qso's
were made on Glenn's smallest antenna, on a little tower
mounted on the back porch.

There was a Santa Ana condition in effect, and there was
quite a bit of line noise to the North, so I kept the
antennas off that direction and didn't work many European
stations. On Sunday, some other manmade S7 noise
popped up on 10 meters, and continued all day. Naturally,
it stopped just before the contest ended. The Mount Palomar
wildfire wasn't too far away, and smoke came drifting in
on occasion.

I'll bet at least 20 operators commented on how loud the
signal was on 75/80 meters. The usual comment was that we
were "head and shoulders" louder than anyone else on that
band. I think Glenn said the 80m antenna was described in the
ARRL Antenna Compendium, Volume 5. The 15m fixed stack on
USA also seemed extraordinarily loud.

Special thanks to:
Glenn and his family for being wonderful hosts.
The sponsors for making this a fun contest.
All those 10 meter ops, many of whom were "not in the contest."
The big-time contesters from outside CA who gave out a few Q's.

Moving back to Yuma tomorrow. See you all in SS.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com