[3830] CQWW SSB K0UK SOSB/10 LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K0UK SOSB/10 LP
From: ukbrown@aol.com (ukbrown@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:18:19 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: K0UK
Operator(s): K0UK
Station: K0UK

Class: SOSB/10 LP
Operating Time (hrs): 18.4

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:    860     30    110
-------------------------------
Total:    860     30    110  =  345,940

Comments:

Started digging the holes for the towers in the back yard the second week in
Septmeber.  Got one tower going and now working on the last.  Anyway got a
A3S
up at 80ft and decided to do a singleband 10mtr. LP due to neighbors.
That morning of the contest got the A3S up and coax into the shack.  Also
got
my FT1000d back from K0DU.  Now I am thinking all is going to go quickly,
NOT.
Had some problems with the computer and N0ZA and KA0WBP helped me on that.
Then I discover the big problem, No mike  adapter for the heil head set.
What
do I do now. Idea, call K0CL he usually has two of everything.  On the phone
go and Yes, he does but he's 100 miles away.  Its now 4pm. We decide to met
half way.  In the truck I go, headed to  Rifle, Colo. at about 90 mph and
hoping the State Patrol is on a holiday, due to CQWW.  We are both on 2mtrs
and
other  hams are helping to keep a watch for the guys in the funny hats and
the
super fast gray and blue Camaro's.  Now you ask why didnot I go to Jerry
K0DU
and get the adapater.  Well Jerry's in Denver now with his daughter having
her
baby and his First grand child, congrats Jerry, You beat me there.
Well, Larry makes it back to his qth just before the contest.  Me I walk in
the
shack about 5 minutes after the start.  Now you think it all clear sailing.
NOT.  I hook it up. Guess what the $$#### head set  thing doesnt work. Now
what.  I get a phone call from Larry telling me he should have brought me
down
a extra head set.  But between us both we think, Hand MIKE, YES,  a hand
mike
for all weekend.  How in the world am I going to operate a contest with a
hand
mike for all weekend.  Think Man, Think Man, Look around the room.  Whats
this
standing in the corner.  One of my xyl's tall lamps. Now if I could somehow
hang the hand mike off that stand and with it on VOX I can operate.  What am
going to use to hang the mike off of.  Think Man Think, the run is goin,
10mtrs
is jumping..  Oh, a piece of a old shop rag. Tear, cut/ wrap, the mike
hangs.
Push the vox button, It works. ITs Alive, ITs Alive. Ear phones on, Pull the
lamp standup close and personal, and start typing.  Now its about 40 minutes
in
to the test But 10 is jumping.
I just know the A3S will be a dud, but between the band conditions and the
low
noise in the neighborhood it seems to get out..., Thank you Lord, I had a
good
time.  First time in along time to operate from home and not field day style
or
multi op.  Oh yes, running low power, I got no calls from the neighbors,
Yet.
Although the folks in the OTHER subdivision are really having a problem with
the two towers in my back yard.  But the subdivision I live in, has NO
covenants restricting antenna height.
Well hope to get on a little bit for SS CW/PHONE and CQWWCW.  Special thanks
the following who helped me greatly this weekend and before.  K0DU for the
help
getting the towers up and keeping the radio and amp.  K0CL for his help and
motivation especially the mike adapater.  KAOWBP for the computer help and
advice and N0ZA for is computer support. Especially to KB0QAA my xyl for her
support and motivation with out which I would have not been onl at all.
Good
Luck to all and PTL/ Christ is the LORD of ALL.  bill brown  K0UK

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/