[3830] 8P2K - SOAB (assisted) CQWW DX 1999 SSB

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] 8P2K - SOAB (assisted) CQWW DX 1999 SSB
From: vision2000@sunbeach.net (Dean St. Hill)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:47:46 -0400
My fellow contesters...

First the summary and then a few comments...

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: 8P2K (8P6SH op)               Country:  Barbados
      Mode: SSB                                Category: Single Unlimited
      Zone: 08

      160          1             0              0.00             1
1
       80         26           55             2.12             5
22
       40       119       256               2.15           13
33
       20       588     1464              2.49            30             104
       15       561     1364              2.43            33             113
       10     1427     3574             2.50             34             139

 Totals     2722     6713             2.47          116              412  =>
3,544,464

                FINAL SCORE =  3,544,464

Equipment Description:

Kenwood TS450s, twp (2) 400MHz AMD computers, Alpha 374A
amplifier.

Club Affiliation:

NOW for a few comments:

Conditions on 10 and 15 metres were particularly outstanding from Barbados,
20m as always requires perseverence and an exceptionally loud signal and
a really exotic call also helps.

I had planned to use two radios and a CT network so each radio could see the
bandspots for that band only and so I could more or less continue running
while
hunting the mults on the second radio.

A bout of laziness and extra work commitments in the week ahead of the 'test
meant
that I did the contest with just the one radio and less antenna power than
planned!!!

This is the second straight year that I entered the assisted category and it
won't
be the last. This year I spent quite a bit of time getting a CT network
going with
"WINTELNETX" feeding the DX spots into CT. Last year I just used two
computers
one logged into a couple dxclusters.

Well I certainly improved on my multiplier total - but conditions were so
good that
the spots just kept rolling in and after the first hour I was truly running
SOAB-distracted.
>From band to band I hopped picking up lots of new mults - with great
difficulty since
a lot of the time the pile-ups were tough to bust - and the other half of
the time the
propagation would be marginal.

Soooo I've learnt my lesson and next year we'll refine our technique.
Definitely two
radios!! Definitely two amps!! Definitely a 160m antenna!!

I've already lost a week towards implementing the plan... hi hi.

73 and see you next contest - WAE - RTTY next weekend!!

QSL's for 8P2K should be directed to my manager KU9C

Dean St. Hill - 8P6SH/8P2K

Michael Dinkelman, N7WA
mwdink@eskimo.com
Kent, WA