[3830] ARRL SS CW W1HIJ SO High Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW W1HIJ SO High Power
From: w1hij@contesting.com (w1hij@contesting.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:58:39 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - CW

Call: W1HIJ
Operator(s): W1HIJ
Station: K6CBS

Class: SO High Power
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Section: LAX

  160:
   80:
   40:    155
   20:    249
   15:    173
   10:    147
-------------------------------
Total:    724 x     76  =  110,048

Comments:

Thanks to CBS Television for the opportunity to use the station at CBS
Television City in Hollywood. A great place to contest from. John
Vackrinos, K6AN, deserves special thanks for the arrangements!! The setup
was a Yaesu FT1000D, Alpha 87A, and a 7 element M2 log periodic at
130 feet on top of the studios. TRLog (of course) was the software.

Compared with my own station (100W and dipoles), this SS was a real
eye opener about the power of "high power" (and high antenna) in Sweep-
stakes. Formerly difficult sections were a piece of cake (e.g. SCV,
SDG, and SB on backscatter on 20). Interestingly enough, with the antenna
so high, some locations were more difficult than expected due to the
quite low angle of radiation.

All the gear worked flawlessly for the duration and the station is
a great example of what happens when you combine great equipment with a
professional (and I do mean professional) installation. Just the other
of one wall of the shack was the room containing master transmission
control for the network --- boy, what potential for nation wide TVI!!
But nary a hint, even when the red LED's on the alpha lit up by accident.

The best of the experience? Meeting old friends again.

The worst of the experience? After I had occupied a 20 meter frequency for
more than half an hour, K6AW dropped down on top of me and started to CQ.
Oh well, stuff happens ... tighten up the filters and keep on a truckin'
After perhaps 5 minutes, he tells ME to QSY --- now that's cojones! (I
didn't)

More details in a reflector post when I get a chance to really look at
the log.