[3830] ARRL SS CW K1VA SO Low Power

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS CW K1VA SO Low Power
From: Robert.Crews@compaq.com (Robert.Crews@compaq.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:58:55 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes - CW

Call: K1VA
Operator(s): K1VA
Station: K1VA

Class: SO Low Power
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Section: NH

  160:
   80:     89
   40:    454
   20:      0
   15:    237
   10:     62
-------------------------------
Total:    842 x     76  =  127,984

Comments:

Sorry for last one ... incomplete ...

Moved to new 25-acre QTH last year. Between being QRL at work and trying
to clear enough trees to see the horizon, missed last year's event.  Decided
first week of October that I had better get moving for most favorite event.

Spent first two weeks with bow & arrow shooting trees for massive wire
arrays. After end of second weekend the XYL was getting tired of fetching
arrows -- either in woods or shimming up 50' oak trees while I "re-shot"
the tree.

Anyways, two days before test -- all ready.  Goal is 900 Q's in 78 sects.
Figure you always miss one anyway. No-goal is 20 meters ... no antenna and
never do well there with one.

Buzzer sounds.  Ten seems hot ... start there ... ouch!  After two hours
of S&P, manage < 50 Q's ... near end of ordeal, somebody asks for fill ...
"PREC Q?" ... must be bad case of one-way skip ... QSY to 15.  Thoughts
go thru head ... if goal to be met then it will take a Bobby Thomson/
'51-NY-Giants-type of comeback.  Lets just have fun.  Fifteen much better.
Can even CQ and get responses.  Five % confidence level returns.  Fifteen
starts to drop after 4th hour ... even starting to send bigger numbers
than receiving from QRP boys.  On to 40 ... what was to happen never
expected ... rate jumps to near 60/hr.  Call CQ and can even hold freq.
Wow, this is fun. Spend rest of night betwen 40 and 80.  QRT at ~08:30Z
in mid-400's ... not bad for lousy start I figure.  Name 40 meter antenna
Sam ... kept playing again and again ...  Back on at 12:30z pick up few
on 80 ... then 40 for many more ... onto 15 at ~14:30 not knowing what
to expect ... not bad for seemingly slow Sunday.  Start to think goal
is reachable ... with 5 hours left and 15 not producing, back to 40 ...
Sam keeps producing ... break 800 but now too many CQs going nowhere.
Three secions missing (VI, MAR, VE8) ... QSY to 80 with 1 hour left to
try and snag MAR ... never happens.  Buzzer at 02:00 for me ... 40 was
great! Fifteen not bad.  Ten complete disappointment.  Can't figure 80.

Had a blast.  As they use to say in Brooklyn and still do in Boston, "just
wait until ..."

73 es tnx for all Q's and fills // Bob/K1VA

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/