[3830] W0SD, wd0t op, SS SSB S/O HP Un.

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] W0SD, wd0t op, SS SSB S/O HP Un.
From: wd0t@sd.cybernex.net (Todd Dravland)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:06:48 -0600
Comments:

Thanks again to Ed and Edith and all who have worked tirelessly building
this great station to operate at, it is fun! And to all for the Q's and
getting to run into you all again on the air, which doesnt happen that
often any more, thanks!

All I can say is 10m was HOT, the best I can ever remember it from here
in SE SD. Usually from central US we don't have the propagation to keep
up any kind of rate on 10m for extended periods, but not so this
contest.

I could not believe how much the bands were filled up, and how hard it
was to find a spot to call CQ on, the most activity I can recall and yet
with exception of WP3R and KH7R, etc.. the scores were not that high.
Lots of CQ'ers I guess and not as many casuals answering as it sounded
like there would be.

Dave, K6LL and Todd, VE5MX at VE6JY were correct, the same thing
happened at W0SD, where I would work out 10m and go to 15m to find it
almost dead also at the same time. Very interesting and unusual there.

Once again, 40m played very well, Ed has a great setup with 2 big
antennas on 40m phased, and along with our location it works out real
well.

20m had the most unusual propagation also, I worked many stations off
the BACK of both the low and high 20m yagis, when I would turn the front
of either antenna at them they would be weaker, can only assume much
high angle radiation from the back of the antennas worked better than
the main lobe.

80m was poor, just couldnt get anything going, even with the high dipole
at 160ft.  Just is never a real good band from here.

It was fun, and will try it again next year Lord willing.  Thanks again,
and see you all on 10m test at KF0FN!

73, God Bless you all!

todd

                 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: W0SD                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

      160       18       48   2.7       13
       80       56      168   3.0       38
       40      164      489   3.0       52
       20      391     1161   3.0       98
       15      616     1821   3.0       99
       10      280      834   3.0       67
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1525     4521   3.0      367  =   1,659,207

Operator List: W0DB, WD0T, KB0PPA

Equipment Description:
TS950SDX,TS940S, 8877 Amp, AL-1200 Amp, 5 over 5 10m, 5 over 5 15m, 4 over 4
20m, 3 ele full size yagi and 2 ele quad 40m, 1/4 wave vert and dipole at
160 ft 80m, 1/4 wave vert. 160m, beverages, other antennas for second
mult. rig

Club Affiliation: smc

                             Signature __Todd Dravland, WD0T__

           MAILING ADDRESS: