[3830] ZM2K CQWW-CW M/S story

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ZM2K CQWW-CW M/S story
From: w.knol@niwa.cri.nz (Wilbert Knol)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:49:45 1300
                        CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1999

          Call: ZM2K                     Country:  New Zealand
          Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single
          Zone: 32

          160        3        4     1.33      3       3
           80       36       91     2.53     22      30
           40      541     1590     2.94     28      77
           20      850     2520     2.96     31     100
           15      891     2628     2.95     31      95
           10     1947     5798     2.98     30      84

         Totals   4268    12631     2.96    145     389  =>

         6,744,954 (raw)

    QSL: bureau or direct to ZL2IR

    Operator List: G4EDG, ZL2AZ, ZL2AGY, ZL2DX, ZL2BSJ

    Venue: Barry's Woolshed, Long Ridge, Sunny Wairarapa

    Equipment Description:

    TS930 + SB201 (run stn)
    IC725 (mult stn, 1st half)
    FT847 + SB100 (mult stn, 2nd half, tnx ZL2AZ!)

    Ant: 7 el (10), 5 el (15), 4 el (20), vert (40), dp
    (80/160)

    Logging: CT9.40 over .X25

    Club Affiliation: Kiwi Contest Group

    Comment:

    Thanks to those who provided gear, initially it looked
    like Single Op/Some Bands/QRP. Also thanks to Steve G4EDG
    for popping down, radiation hardened from ZK3,  to help
    out. I reckon Steve is probably responsible for single
    handedly scoring 2/3rds of our run QSOs, and he carries on
    what is starting to become a tradition of excellent CW
    guest ops from G-land.

    Low points:

    Turning up with a box full of cans of 'contest spaghetti'
    and baked beans & sausage, only to find the microwave oven
    gone.

    High point:

    Tony's wife Mary arriving with a carload of food:
    Shepherd's pie, bowls with nuts, rasins, strawberries...a
    huge bowl of lovely creamy desert with bits of kiwi fruit,
    and, a stroke of genius, a square metre slab of chocolate!

    At this point we seriously considered flagging the lousy
    contest to put the chairs out on the woolshed 'balcony'
    for a pig-out...

    A big Southerly change soon put a stop to that... as the
    rain started pelting down, temperatures dropped to 9 C.
    So...we reluctantly shuffled back to our battle stations,
    cocooning ourselves in sleeping bags.

    Toughest call: turning on the 1000 W fan heater caused the
    mains supply to sag even further, reducing RF output at
    the multiplier station by 50 W. What to do? Sorry DX....

    Stickiest moment:

    Peeking through a cobwebbed window to see Nigel, 13 yrs,
    roar past in the farm truck. Behind it, being towed by one
    leg, and flapping around like a rag doll, a sheep ...
    succumbed to blood poisoning and headed for 'the pit'.

    Most interesting episode:

    Witnessing 15 m signals from Scandinavia wrap around the
    globe a few times. I quickly recorded a bit of OH1JD in a
    WAV file, at times the callsign can be heard almost twice.

    Most embarrassing episode (this is starting to sound like
    a teenager's magazine...): discovering we missed ZL on 20
    m, and VK6 (Z-29) on 20 and 10.

    Luckiest Escape: not having Chris ZL2DX on site to give us
    stick over the missed ZL multiplier!

    A good time was had by all...thanks to those who took the
    time to work us.

    Wilbert, ZL2BSJ.