[3830] ARRL 10m DJ1YFK SO QRP CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10m DJ1YFK SO QRP CW
From: Schenk-Kurz@t-online.de (Schenk-Kurz)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:55:42 +0100
             ***   ARRL-10m Contest 1999   ***

Callsign: DJ1YFK
Op:       Fabian Kurz, Werseweg 4, D-48431 Rheine
Class:    SO-QRP-CW
Club:     WWYC

Claimed Score:

Band    QSO   Valid QSO   QSO-Pts  Multis    Score
10m     267   267         1068     62        66,216

States: 36
DXCC:   26

 Equipment description:

Yeasu FT-890/AT, max. 5 W Output
Doublet Inv-V (2*16m) @ 9 m

States/VE:

NF      SC      MA      CT      GA      MD      NC
NJ      VT      NH      NY      FL      OH      KY
ON      VA      OA      IL      MO      TX      IN
TN      WV      RI      WI      MN      LA      DEL
MI      NM      ME      IA      MS      AL      CO
OK

DXCC:

UN      UA9     UA      JT      UR      EA      CT
SV      EX      9H      OH      KP2     YO      LZ
ZF      OD5     TU      PZ      TZ      5B4     I
SU      TA      LU      4X      DL

That was a really great contest! Indeed I don't have a good score
or so, but I actually worked 4 new DXCC-Countries and some new
bandpoints. Originally I wanted to built a 2 el QUAD for that contest,
but I wasn't able to finish the antenna. It's still lying in my workshop
and want's to be completed... Also I had a 2el wire-Yagi (pointing USA) in
the attic, but the doublet was better all the time...
I started working on Saturday morning at 9:15 UTC. The
band was full of UA's and UR's, but suddenly I heard a loud JT, and I
was lucky! I got him on the first call. After working some other EU / AS
multipliers and WP2, the band suddenly was open to W/VE. It was a great
experience to see the signals growing better. At first there was VO1MP,
but no ther NA, then W1 came through. At about 12:15 UTC I could hear
and work all the eastcoast with really big signals. I had no problems
to get through anyway, and I worked until 17 UTC, when the condx went down.
I worked many W5/9/0 in the late afternoon, but I wasn't able to work CA
this weekend...
 Next morning I started working at about 11 UTC. USA wasn't workable that
time, and that brought me TZ6DX. He was QRV the first day, too, but he was
surrounded by all these W1-4 BIG guns, and I had no chance to get through.
But now it was an easy game; he heard me on the first call!
Again I could see how the condx changed to W1 -> W2 -> W3/4 and finally W5-0.
At all, I was only about 17 hours on the air. One big problem is my QTH in
central EU: I couldn't work any EU but CT, UA3, I and OH. The other EU-
Countries are simply to close to me. I was lucky that I could find two local
HAM's to give me the multiplier DL, hi! At all I must say: CONDX were splendid,
it was a great fun and I'll be back next year!

Cu in the contests!