[3830] CQ 160 CW - K4IQ

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ 160 CW - K4IQ
From: jbmitch@vt.edu (John Mitchell)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:43:03 -0500
Call:  K4IQ =20
Location:  VA
Power:  1500
Class:  MultiOp (Single plus packet)

Affiliation:  PVRC

QSOs:  811     Mults: 54/34    Pts:  206,008

Equipment:  FT1000MP, Alpha, Inv Vee at 100ft, beverages at 60, 220, 300 =
degrees

Comments:

Had wanted to have the vertical project completed, but ran into bad =
weather and job commitments, so decided to treat myself to packet-assist =
for a change.  The OH DX Summit internet reflector worked very well, as =
I still haven't gotten regular packet here. I was impressed with the =
rapid refresh, the laptop stayed logged on both nights except for one =
time each night when Worldnet dumped me off and I had to login again.  =
The spots are perhaps not as fast as packet, but I was able to be on the =
scene fairly quickly when something of interest was posted.  At 0300 on =
Friday and 0400 on Saturday there must have been a "high angle" peak =
from here to Europe as my run frequency got busy with DL's and other EU =
stations.  The runs would last for maybe 15 minutes, then back to USA.  =
Conditions to west coast seemed down from last year's contest, with only =
20 CA in the log this year.  State QSO totals included PA with 61 (!), =
OH with 41, and TX and VA tied with 40.  There were 26 VE3s, and in =
Europe, 13 DLs and 7 OKs out of 65 total EU.  Really appreciate the =
patience of many operators when I had to ask for repeats to get the =
entire call, especially a couple of the EU folks.  Nice to see plenty of =
activity and some decent conditions in this part of the solar cycle.

Murphy Report:  Stumbled around in the basement an hour before the test =
throwing circuit breakers trying to isolate a recurring noise band that =
shifts around between 1820 and 1870.  Threw the furnace breaker and it =
broke!  Had to call emergency electrical repair at 4PM on Friday, then =
give up my run frequency 30 minutes into the contest to meet him and =
hold the flashlight while he replaced the breaker.  Lesson learned:  =
don't make last minute changes to ANYTHING; this is where Murphy creeps =
in.  Also, at 6PM Saturday, XYL came down to report ice was steadily =
falling.  Eyed reflected power for several hours, expecting to have to =
QRT with high swr, but just kept putting the power to it, hoping.  It =
turned to snow, fortunately, which might have helped ground =
conductivity, HI.