[3830] NA Sprint CW K9AA HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K9AA HP
From: k9pg@aol.com (k9pg@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:24:16 -0500 (EST)
                     NA Sprint - CW

Call: K9AA
Operator: K9PG
Station: WE9V

Power: HP
QTH: WI

   80:     70
   40:    139
   20:     96
----------------------
Total:    305 Qs   55 Mults =  16,775

Comments:

20m/80m amp blew up at 0042z... sparks and flames shot 3 feet out the top
grill! That really messed me up mentally too!  I was on a roll.... had a great
start (at least as far as I am concerned.... I've never done a CW Sprint High
Power before.)   Chad worked his tail off to get the amp back online for 80
meters at 0305z....  what a guy!  Looking at my rate, you sure can tell when I
was LP on 20 meters.

  HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    0       0      39      50      89      89
    1       0      48      20      68     157
    2       0      39      26      65     222
    3      70      13       0      83     305

  TOTAL    70     139      96             305 x 55  =  16,775

TR says 55 band changes.

Mults missed UT, NE, MD, RI, VE4XT and VE5SF (how did I miss you Sam?)
DX Worked  WP4AOH, YS1EJ, J38A, HP1AC

>From what I can tell, all 49 state mults except RI had activity, plus all the
VE mults were active (Thanks VO1MP and VY1JA!!!), in addition to ZF, KP2, KP4,
YS, HP, V4, KG4 and J3.... so that's about 65 possible mults on!

Set a goal of 300 x 50.... all I wanted to do was get 300 for the first time...
and think I would have done a bit better on 20m if I had a KW behind me... got
beat out quite a bit there.

Once again, starting on 40 meters worked out great!   The band went long and I
couldn't hear any W9s well enough to work them past 0200.  There was non-stop
activity on 40m from beginning to end!   Starting on 40m is definitely the way
to go out here!

Sure would like to see more guys starting on 40 meters in the Sept sprints!  If
you live in W0 or east of W0 land and you've never tried it before, give it a
shot... you might be surprised at how well it works!  Once agian, as was the
case in SSB, all of the W9 records were broken by a pretty large margin...  I'm
sure it's a safe guess that the quick start on 40 was a factor!

Thanks to WE9V for the use of his station again... the 2 stack of those crappy
KT34XAs sure works well!

Paul K9PG

K9AA         305   55    16,775HP