[3830] ARRLDX CW W2GD SOAB Ast

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W2GD SOAB Ast
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (w2gd@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:01:34 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: N2NT

Class: SOAB Ast
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:     33     27
   80:    128     48
   40:    527     76
   20:    725    100
   15:    522     86
   10:   1049     97
----------------------
Total:   2984    434  =  3,883,866

Comments:

Club:  FRC

Due to a snow/ice storm in Northern New Jersey, the "assisted" part of SOA (in
this case the packet system) became unavailable for over 33 hours of the
contest period.  Unfortunately once committed to an entry class there is no
changing mid-stream, otherwise I would have more appropriately gone SOAB since
that was my mode of operation most of the event.  I not only missed the
assistance packet provides finding mults but just as importantly missed the
commoraderie of exchanging talk messages all weekend with my peers....I didn't
much enjoy the isolation.

The ice also played  havoc with getting to the station (I started 20 minutes
late) and  both of the 80M antennas were detuned about 100 KHZ low, forcing a
significant decrease in power output to avoid amplifier cutout.   Anything
above 3510 was a problem.

Other than these inconveniences, conditions seemed above average, noise on the
low bands was quite low the first night, and the high bands, especially ten
meters, played very well world-wide all day long.

I want to thank N2NT for making his station available to me while he helped
pilot the N2RM M/2  operation to a new record score.

73, John  W2GD/P40W

W2GD        2984  434 3,883,866SOAB Ast