[3830] ARRLDX CW KR1G SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KR1G SOAB HP
From: ted@demop.com (ted@demop.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:31:29 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: KR1G
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
----------------------
Total:   2741    358  =  2937390

Comments:

I have to consider this a part time effort, as I missed about 3 hours due to a
9 month committment (or is that about 20 years? Wife is pregnant).

I joked I'd double last years score since now I've got twice as much aluminum
now - it worked, I did it  :) Next year will try to increase a third . From
almost 3 meg to 4.

Did about a third of the contest kneeling on a blanket, maybe 5 hours standing
up, and the rest sitting. Need more chairs for variety in the shack. I like
standing up for CW tests,although the legs get tired!

A couple of things (at least) I learned -

Put at least one of the alarm clocks where you need to get up to turn it off
when napping.

Beverages are GREAT receiving antennas on ALL BANDS!! One of my very few 100+
hours I was listening on the beverage on 20 by mistake - when I figured it out
and switched to the transmit antenna, the snow static was so bad I switched
back. Yeah, I even used it to
benefit on 10m.

I'm not sure I need to sleep the first night if I'm in OK physical shape
(although I did some), I need to sleep the second- more than a few minutes.
Sunday midmorning I was stupid - couldn't send code, couldn't copy worth
beans,
couldn't operate the radio. I kept turning
around thinking someone was watching me. Tried to drink coffee from the
antenna
switch. Tried to use the tuning knob to send CW. I kept thinking the second
radio (as in spare, not
SO2R) was sending secret CW messages. I'm SERIOUS - I was a basket case. For
about 1 - 1.5 hours I was certifiably nutso! Figure it cost me 100 Qs or so.

AS part of my recovery therapy :), and to aid as a guide to helping me with
next year, I may do a somewhat detailed writeup/review, like what I think I
did
well/badly and why I made certain decisions etc.

73

Ted, KR1G

PS: My second serious ARRL CW  entry - if you consider taking 3 entirely
unnecessary hours off as serious :)

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES
      160           29       87       3.0       23
       80          198      588      3.0       49
       40          519     1551     3.0       66
       20          615     1845     3.0       79
       15          701     2103     3.0       72
       10          679     2031     3.0       69

     Totals   2741     8205   3.0      358  =   2,937,390

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/
KR1G        2741  358   2937390SOAB HP