[3830] CQ WPX SSB KL7RA M/M HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WPX SSB KL7RA M/M HP
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:36:55 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ WW WPX - SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): KL7RA & KL7TC  KL7XD  KL7AC  AL7IF  AL7AF  NL7Y  AL7MU  WL7GF
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/M  Power: HP
QTH: Fairbanks,
Operating Time (hrs): <48

  160:      6
   80:    123
   40:    781
   20:   1831
   15:   3518
   10:   2850
-------------------------------
Total:   9109 x   1338  =  35,226,864

Club:

Comments:

WPX00 almost didn't happen twice here at KL7RA. The
major flare Thursday wiped us out for the Friday start
and we had no signals to speak of on any band. We
decided to start anyway and see if things improve. Normally
this far North conditions take a long time to recover.

All Saturday morning we cranked CQs on three bands with
a grand total of 30 Qs an hour during our "normal" big
Stateside runs. We took a vote again to stop and save what's
left of the weekend or continue. Our compition to the South
had us by 1000 Qs and in contesting you can never catch up.

Twelve hours after that vote I looked around and all six positions
were making Qs with two ops in the bull pen reading the NCJ and
CQ-Contest ready to snatch any position that came open.
Now the piles are too big and we have the opposite problem
with too many callers.

The best part of multi-op is the post contest debriefing. We have
the triditional KL7RA fishsticks. They hurt my feeling by wanted
Wigi to cook them this year. I like the loud crack they make when
you snap them apart and chew on the ends. If you can imagine eight
very tired contesters sitting around the table talking radio, then
you can understand, win or lose, the fun we had.
Rich  KL7RA