[3830] CQ WPX SSB KC3R SOSB10 HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WPX SSB KC3R SOSB10 HP
From: jimb@psu.edu (jimb@psu.edu)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:28:15 -0500 (EST)
                     CQ WW WPX - SSB

Call: KC3R
Operator(s): WA3FET
Station:

Class: SOSB10  Power: HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 33:35

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:   2498
-------------------------------
Total:   2498 x    866  =  5,652,382

Club: NCC

Comments:

                            1999 CQ WPX CONTEST

     Call used: KC3R                                             Location:
State College, PA

     Category: Single Op Single Band      Mode: PHONE           Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: WA3FET

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:

     Exchanged Information: KC3R RST 59

     Hours of Operation: 33:35

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
     160          0          0
      80          0          0
      40          0          0
      20          0          0
      15          0          0
      10       2498       6527
     -------------------------
     TOTAL     2498       6527   X   866 multipliers  =  5,652,382

     Club or Team Name: NCC

     Comments:

        Jim Spence, KB3AFT, and I decided to do two single band efforts this
        weekend after just getting back from WP3R (Congrats to Jim on super
        effort from there!!!!) and knowing that there was just too much
        work to get the station ready for all band.  Both Jim and I had to
        fight power-line noise all weekend with mine worse on 10M with most of
        the time being S7 and sometimes S9-plus mainly to Europe.  Some rain
        on Saturday quieted it down for a while.  This is very upsetting to
        build such a competitive station and have this problem.  This station
        was super quiet a few years ago.  We are working with the power company
        and using techniques from the Navy to hopefully solve these problems
        this summer.

        The station worked very good considering the noise and also that I
        misjudged when the band would be open and missed the openings both
days.         There was only room for Jim to sleep in the shack and I decided
to drive         home both nights and drive back in the morning.  That was
clearly a         mistake since that ate up 2 hours of driving time and about
2.5 hours of         prime opening time in the morning.  Live and learn!!!

        Congrats to the NY4A score from W4ZV who I am sure knew when to be
there         for the band openings!!!

        Congrats to Jim, KB3AFT, also who did a pretty fine effort on 15M with
       all the similar problems he had with power-line noise too, etc.

        73, Jim  WA3FET (KC3R, K3CR, and WP3R!!!)

        PS: Special thanks to Mike Jacobs, N3YAV, who did a great job of helping
        to get the stations ready.

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     CQ Awards Committee.

     Name: Jim Breakall                    Call: WA3FET
           264 Lutz Lane
           Port Matilda, PA  16870