[3830] Poisson d'Avril K1DG SOAB Assisted

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Poisson d'Avril K1DG SOAB Assisted
From: k1dg@ix.netcom.com (Doug Grant)
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:23:14 +0100
POISSON d'AVRIL CONTEST -- 2000

      Call: K1DG                      Country:  United States
      Mode: Mixed                   Category: Single-Op Assisted

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS     PTS/Q MULTIPLIERS

      AMBC        1                1            1             1
      160SB       27              81            3            27
      160CW     27              81            3            27
       80SB      1111           3333         3           111
       80CW    1111           3333         3           111
       40SB        0                   0           0            0
       40CW    2222            6666        3           222
       20SB        0                   0           0            0
       20CW    2222            6666        3           222
       15SB    22220          66660        3           444
       15CW    2222            6666        3           222
        10SB     2222            6666        3           222
        10CW   1111            6666        6           111
        VHF            3                  0        0             40

     Totals      34441        103323       3.14       1732 =    178,955,436

SOAPBOX:

After a long winning streak in the Single-op category, I decided to try the
Assisted category in this contest this year. I had a ball. Didn't expect as
much activity as previous years, since the announcement and rules hadn't
been published anywhere, but the packet spots really helped me keep the rate
and mults up.

Missed the first few hours of the contest due to a dinner obligation, but
the several bottles of wine with dinner helped get me in the right frame of
mind. On the way home from the restaurant, I made a call on the cell-phone
to a local AM talk radio station to complain about the traffic, and counted
that as my first QSO. Then I went to the FM band, where I hopped among three
Top-40 Oldies stations in an effort to find one playing "Mexican Radio" by
Wall of Voodoo. They apparently didn't hear me screaming at them, so no QSO
points were awarded, just the Top 40 multipliers.

When I got to the shack, I fired up on 15, with rates well into the 400s.
Lots of great activity from the packet net, including such great mults as
TX0DX, TS0DX, TX9DX, TX0DXX, TX0, FX0DX, TX0BX, TX0DXUP, P0LICE, PH0NEY,
SPLIT, WORKED321.3, UPLID, and many others on 21295. In fact, there was so
much activity on that frequency after a while I just parked the VFO there
and ran for most of the contest. Lots of calls like mine called in also,
like K1DGQSY, K1DGLID, K1DGNOEARS, all from packet spots. I think I swept
all the multipliers on 15, but since OH2BH was in the Pacific with access to
a boat and low-tide in the Pacific occurred during the contest period, I may
have missed 4 or 5 new ones.

Around 0500, I tried the other bands, and kept the rate at a steady S&P 500.
I found it easy to rack up a great multiplier by just working what was
called out on packet. When I got tired, I just went to bed and let the radio
do the operating. I added a few lines of code to CT10Beta and had the radio
just follow the packet spots and log everything automatically. I figured I
was loud enough to work every station on one call, and since the callouts on
packet are always right, there was no need for me to actually copy the
calls. When I woke up, the software had done a great job, and I could relax
and just run on 15 again.

Later I got on 10 for a while, and I was happy to get the double-QSO-point
bonus for the soon-to-be 5 WPM Extras and the offshore CBers who kept
calling in. I never did make any QSOs on 40 SSB (way too much trouble, and
QRM on all the good listening frequencies below 7040) or 20 SSB (I still
hate that band).

All-in-all, a fun weekend, and another apparent record for me in this
contest (46 consecutive wins now). I look forward to seeing the second-place
scores in this and other categories, and have already shipped most of the
first-place plaques (and the accompanying bundles of small green
certificates with portaits of U.S. Presidents) to the probable winners, all
of whom seem coincidentally to be in Slovenia, and many of whom will be
judges and station-assignment officials for WRTC-2000.

73,

Doug K1DG