[3830] IARU HF NT1N SO Mixed

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU HF NT1N SO Mixed
From: nt1n@arrl.org (nt1n@arrl.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:06:04 -0400 (EDT)
                     IARU HF Championship

Call: NT1N
Operator(s): NT1N
Station: NT1N

Class: SO Mixed  Power: HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:      17        2        9
   80:      42        0       19
   40:     152        7       39
   20:     399      370       72
   15:     462      362       60
   10:     103      168       31
-----------------------------------
Total:    1175      909      230  =  1,731,900

Club: YCCC

Comments:

My intent for this contest was to work each WRTC station at least once on each
mode.  I spent a great deal of time tuning for those guys but they didn't seem
to be CQing!  Seven WRTC stations called me out of the 41 total I worked.  The
only one I heard but could not work was S549L who was heard answering stations
but I could not poach them for a Q.  N6ZZ operating at S5S told me that the WX
was horrible and some stations may not have been on the air yet (12 hours into
the contest).  Among the best Qs was S5/K1ZZ, with a weak, warbly signal who I
poached off another QSO!  Thanks for the "AC" mult Dave!

And, as Murphy would have it, after three hours operating the SWR went infinite
on the tribander (feedline opened somewhere).  Had to go up on roof platform
and drop the large 6 and 2m antennas, then drop the mast with the tribander (at
the top of course) in order to tighten the screws that hold the balun leads to
the driven element.  Lost about three prime hours, but there was no choice.

This contest has such great activity.  Even tuning for probably 40 percent of
the time I still averaged over 100 Qs per hour.

Hope the WRTCers had fun--the guys I heard were doing very well, and they were
surprisingly loud!  I noted that S562P and S573O had really outstanding
signals.  Managed to work two of them on 40m and three of them on ten during
that brief but excellent opening on ten in the last hour of the contest!  The
worst WRTC call had to S566Z.  Heard the boys trying to send that one by
hand--what a mess. :)

73, Dave, NT1N

Still using the TS-930s, KW, and C3S and dipoles at 40'