[3830] IARU K8MR S/O L/P Mixed Mode NASCAR

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU K8MR S/O L/P Mixed Mode NASCAR
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:06:51 EDT
                         2000 IARU HF CHAMPIONSHIP

     Call used: K8MR
     Location:  NASCAR   (North And South CARolina)

     Category: Single Op All Band      Mode: MIXED    Power: 150W

     Hours of Operation: 8

              CW      CW     SSB     SSB    band
     band   QSOs     pts   QSOs      pts   mults
     160       0       0       0       0      0
      80       0       0       0       0      0
      40       1       1       0       0      1
      20      89     293      32     120     30
      15     107     327      46     172     28
      10       3       5       0       0      2
     TOTAL   200     626      78     292     61

     SCORE: 55,998

Comments:  IARU is one of those contests that is nice to
operate, but one that often takes second place to other
activities. This year the other activities meant driving to
Hilton Head Island, SC, for a family vacation. Fortunately I was
able to fit in my IC-746, Hamsticks, and Field Day dipoles for
20, 15 and 6.

1215Z:  Fire up from the motel parking lot in Huntersville, NC,
near Charlotte.  Work 7 USA guys on 20.  Decide 15 meters will be
the band.  Switch to the 15M Hamstick.  Work fellow MRRC'er K8JM,
then QRT to finish packing the car.

1333Z: On the road.  Successfully S&P a number of US and EU on
15CW.  First WRTC qso is with S529A.  I tell my wife about all
the cool places I'm working. She tells me I gotta take her to all
of them some day.

1408Z:  Cross into South Carolina with 39 cw qsos in the log.

1443Z: Switch to 15 SSB.  Continue working a reasonable rate.
Work S533G, S529A, and S573O in a row. Go back to 15CW at 1509Z.
QRT at 1530Z to drive.

1809Z: We stop so the females can go shopping at some outlet
malls. I get back on 15M from the parking lot. I discover that
even with the car engine idling the key down full power voltage
drop is such that the radio dumps and resets itself. I get out
the 10 meter antenna for 3 qsos, and then the 20 meter antenna
for 10 more.

1935Z:  Cross the bridge to Hilton Head Island. I now count for
IOTA NA-110.  Last mobile QSO is at 1946Z, for a total of 129
QSOs from the car.

2212Z:  Having checked into the condo, I put up the 15 meter
dipole, about 25 feet at the center, in some pine trees off the
back of the condo.  S&P is now pretty successsful.  CQing I work
a few, but not many. I occasionally QSY to six meters for the CQ
VHF contest, but little luck there.

0247Z:  Take down the 15 meter dipole in the dark and put up the
20 meter one. I decide that next time I should make a dipole in
segments that can be jumpered for the various bands. Results are
similar, i.e. pretty good for such a simple setup.

0345Z:  Lots of signals on 40, but no dipole. I consider running
a coax to the car to use the Hamstick, but decide it's not worth
the trouble for my puny effort. I work N4AF on the 20M dipole for
my only qso on 40.

0418Z: Pack it in with 278 qsos.  This is more than I usually
find time and interest to do from home.  Go to sleep.  Wake up at
1205Z.

1300Z:  Try six meters in the CQ VHF contest.  I have a
reasonable opening to Texas for an about an hour, but the rest of
the day is quite dead. The CQ VHF contest ends with 30 qsos.

WRTC results:  37 qsos. S573O and S529A led with 3 qsos each, 8
more teams had 2 qsos.  5 qsos were made while mobile, which says
something about the ear quality last weekend in Bled.  Good thing
the contest wasn't this past weekend with the mega-flare!